Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Some Issues I'm having with Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(12-29-2012, 10:43 AM)science man Wrote: [ -> ]Well that's a shame and very ironic considering one of the main reasons why dolphin was created was created in the first place.

A shame? Yes, an emulator should ideally try to work as close as reasonably possible to the original hardware. Ironic? Not really, it's just a fact of life that no emulator is 100% perfect. Issues like this persist until someone with the know-how and time comes along to fix it. Software development is rarely that straight-forward, however. Even when developers do know what to fix and how, the project has various priorities as well.
(12-29-2012, 05:09 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2012, 10:43 AM)science man Wrote: [ -> ]Well that's a shame and very ironic considering one of the main reasons why dolphin was created was created in the first place.

A shame? Yes, an emulator should ideally try to work as close as reasonably possible to the original hardware. Ironic? Not really, it's just a fact of life that no emulator is 100% perfect. Issues like this persist until someone with the know-how and time comes along to fix it. Software development is rarely that straight-forward, however. Even when developers do know what to fix and how, the project has various priorities as well.
No you misunderstand. What's ironic is the fact that the developers stopped working on it or aren't trying to fix it yet the whole reason they created dolphn is so that it would work with games. I know emulators aren't 100% perfect. I see it every time I play super smash bros. melee (because the music always eventually stops until the screen changes) What's ironic is that fact that the developers stopped working on it or aren't bothering to do so.
It's ironic to you because you want the game to work, but there are several dozens of things that don't work on Dolphin that range from other broken games to missing/broken features. Like you said, emulators are not perfect. Like I said, developers fix what they feel like fixing or what they know how to fix.

Anyway, If all of your questions are answered, you're probably better off moving on to another topic at this point.
Quote:yet the whole reason they created dolphn is so that it would work with games.
[citation needed]
science man Wrote:What's ironic is that fact that the developers stopped working on it or aren't bothering to do so.

Shonumi Wrote:Software development is rarely that straight-forward, however. Even when developers do know what to fix and how, the project has various priorities as well.
(12-30-2012, 06:21 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]It's ironic to you because you want the game to work, but there are several dozens of things that don't work on Dolphin that range from other broken games to missing/broken features.
That's true I do want the game to work, but I wouldn't claim something to be ironic just because I want something work. To me it sounds like Dolphin was a project that the developers worked on and then once completed to a certain extent the developers just stopped bothering with it. (at least that's the impression you gave me before and I'm stilling sticking to it.)
(12-30-2012, 06:21 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Like you said, emulators are not perfect. Like I said, developers fix what they feel like fixing or what they know how to fix.
What they know how to? You mean there's stuff they just flat-out don't know how to fix? Can't they figure it out?
(12-30-2012, 06:21 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, If all of your questions are answered, you're probably better off moving on to another topic at this point.
Getting the questions I've listed in this thread completely answered is the only reason I made an account on this forum because no other forum could answer my questions. With the way a lot of times, when a question of mine is answered another one follows from the previous answer.

(12-30-2012, 06:22 AM)rog Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:yet the whole reason they created dolphn is so that it would work with games.
[citation needed]
Well what other reason could there be? (Please give me an e.g.)
(12-30-2012, 08:36 AM)science man Wrote: [ -> ]Well what other reason could there be? (Please give me an e.g.)

Educational and academic purposes. A lot of people who are interested in emulation care about knowing what the hardware does. Dolphin can be seen as a way of exploring how the GC and Wii function, both on a low-level and high-level scale. Dolphin has also unearthed a lot of undocumented information about both systems in its push to emulate both systems.

Others purely want to make a working emulator to increase their programming skills, learn how to work on an open-source project, or just learn how emulators work in general. Some like the challenges of getting an emulator to work.
To create a 'document' of how the hardware works in order for the future when the original hardware will be unavailable.

Ninja'd.
science man Wrote:To me it sounds like Dolphin was a project that the developers worked on and then once completed to a certain extent the developers just stopped bothering with it.
science man Wrote:What they know how to? You mean there's stuff they just flat-out don't know how to fix? Can't they figure it out?

Oh good lord! You are displaying a a level of ignorance and lack of appreciation that is truly baffling.

Yes the developers have a finite level of knowledge. And no they have not "stopped bothering with dolphin". I don't know where you get this stuff from.
(12-30-2012, 09:00 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-30-2012, 08:36 AM)science man Wrote: [ -> ]Well what other reason could there be? (Please give me an e.g.)

Educational and academic purposes. A lot of people who are interested in emulation care about knowing what the hardware does. Dolphin can be seen as a way of exploring how the GC and Wii function, both on a low-level and high-level scale. Dolphin has also unearthed a lot of undocumented information about both systems in its push to emulate both systems.

Others purely want to make a working emulator to increase their programming skills, learn how to work on an open-source project, or just learn how emulators work in general. Some like the challenges of getting an emulator to work.
Ok but how would a general user like myself view the source code of dolphin?

(12-30-2012, 09:12 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
science man Wrote:To me it sounds like Dolphin was a project that the developers worked on and then once completed to a certain extent the developers just stopped bothering with it.
science man Wrote:What they know how to? You mean there's stuff they just flat-out don't know how to fix? Can't they figure it out?

Oh good lord! You are displaying a a level of ignorance and lack of appreciation that is truly baffling.

Yes the developers have a finite level of knowledge. And no they have not "stopped bothering with dolphin". I don't know where you get this stuff from.
Believe me I wish I didn't feel this way, I wish I didn't feel it was the case but sadly I do because the first 1 or 2 replies I got on this thread gave me that impression.
Pages: 1 2 3