Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Which laptop would be better?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am deciding between two laptops to buy.
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?p...ame=NP6165

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-of...otebook-PC

For the Sager, I would upgrade the processor to the i7-3630QM, which would be equal with the HP. I would also pay the extra $25 for the IC Diamond Thermal Compound. Its graphics card is the 1GB GeForce GT 650M.
I wouldn't be able to upgrade the thermal compound on the HP, but it is a 17 incher and the Sager is 15. The graphics card would be the 2GB GeForce GT 630M, would that give me higher performance than the 1GB 650?

For non-Dolphin parts of the laptops, the HDD would be 750 7200RPM on the Sager, and 750 5400 RPM on the HP. They both have 8 GB of RAM, and the Sager has a DVD drive, while the HP has a Blu-Ray. Sager is Windows 7, HP is Windows 8.
The Sager comes to $1025, and the HP comes to $1055.
Quote:The graphics card would be the 2GB GeForce GT 630M, would that give me higher performance than the 1GB 650?

Ask yourself this: Which number is higher, 630 or 650?

Get the sager.
(12-05-2012, 08:42 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:The graphics card would be the 2GB GeForce GT 630M, would that give me higher performance than the 1GB 650?

Ask yourself this: Which number is higher, 630 or 650?
Just as a disclaimer to those who don't know, buying the higher numbered video card/GPU does not always mean that it's the better one.
Quote: Ask yourself this: Which number is higher, 30 or 50?
This is an improvement.
Google "Nvidia GT 630M notebookcheck" and click on mobile GPU the benchmark list
GT 630M = GT 540M : 720p (Old Fermi 45nm architecture)
GT 650M : 1080p (New Kepler 28nm architecture)
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure because of the 1GB to 2GB distinction. Would that make a difference on other computer gaming that isn't Dolphin or no?
Quote:Just as a disclaimer to those who don't know, buying the higher numbered video card/GPU does not always mean that it's the better one.

If the second number is higher it is always faster. I should have wrote it as 30/50 like AnyOldName3 said.

Quote:I wasn't sure because of the 1GB to 2GB distinction.

Ah, this makes more sense. No that's not going to make a difference. I don't know why they include 2GB of video ram on such low end GPUs.
(12-05-2012, 10:29 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I wasn't sure because of the 1GB to 2GB distinction.

Ah, this makes more sense. No that's not going to make a difference. I don't know why they include 2GB of video ram on such low end GPUs.
dedicated... Big Grin
Quote: Ah, this makes more sense. No that's not going to make a difference. I don't know why they include 2GB of video ram on such low end GPUs.
So that people like the OP who don't understand how to tell which GPU they want will pay more for a cheaper GPU, thus making the seller more money.
(12-06-2012, 01:20 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote: Ah, this makes more sense. No that's not going to make a difference. I don't know why they include 2GB of video ram on such low end GPUs.
So that people like the OP who don't understand how to tell which GPU they want will pay more for a cheaper GPU, thus making the seller more money.
Hey now I know a bit about them and I can use notebookcheck Rolleyes . But yeah, I was never too sure on how much the video ram mattered.
Pages: 1 2