Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best settings for my new setup?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
just got a new graphics card and I would like some help in configuring the emu's options - there's so many I don't know how to get the best performance and graphics. I'd appreciate your help! also this emu is friggin awesome, 1080p! now I dont need a wii-U Tongue

Games I'd like to play:
Super Mario Sunshine
Star fox assault
super mario galaxy 1 and 2
mario kart wii
super smash bros brawl
new super mario bros wii

Operating System:
windows 7 x64

Processor/CPU:
intel i7-2600 @ 3.4ghz

Video Card/GPU:
nvidia gtx 650

Memory/RAM:
8 gb

Dolphin Revision Currently Using:

Settings currently using:
found these from the youtube video below.

[Image: dx11k.png]

Overall, your settings are fine. Here are some things you can do to push it to the max (without slowing down of course :p) :

For you AA, you can easily set it to 8x or 16x for just about all games at 3x IR and a decent amount of games at 4x IR. Anisotropic Filtering can be set to 16x no problem; my GMA X3100 in my old laptop can do that with no performance hit in Dolphin. You can also enable Per-Pixel Depth if you want more graphical enhancements. If you have games that don't run at 60 FPS (PAL games, NTSC games that switch between 30/60, NTSC games that run at 30 all the time) you might want to switch your Framelimit to Auto.

Some games may need LLE audio, most notably in your list the Super Mario Galaxy games. Do you have an i7-2600K or just a regular i7-2600? The former easily allows overclocking, and it's necessary if you want to play them perfectly at fullspeed. You can still play the SMG games reasonably well with LLE without overclocking.
(11-27-2012, 04:26 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Overall, your settings are fine. Here are some things you can do to push it to the max (without slowing down of course :p) :

For you AA, you can easily set it to 8x or 16x for just about all games at 3x IR and a decent amount of games at 4x IR. Anisotropic Filtering can be set to 16x no problem; my GMA X3100 in my old laptop can do that with no performance hit in Dolphin. You can also enable Per-Pixel Depth if you want more graphical enhancements. If you have games that don't run at 60 FPS (PAL games, NTSC games that switch between 30/60, NTSC games that run at 30 all the time) you might want to switch your Framelimit to Auto.

Some games may need LLE audio, most notably in your list the Super Mario Galaxy games. Do you have an i7-2600K or just a regular i7-2600? The former easily allows overclocking, and it's necessary if you want to play them perfectly at fullspeed. You can still play the SMG games reasonably well with LLE without overclocking.
thanks for the quick reply! no its just i7-2600 no k. also with these settings when playing mario kart wii I'm getting random spots where the speed is slowing down to 50%, any idea whats causing this? other than that it seems to be running smoothy and looks good.
Are you playing by yourself or with other human players? The more people you play with in multiplayer games, the more demanding it will be on your computer. If it's just you by yourself and you notice that you get slowdowns at specific parts of the track (when you're racing around, you might not hit the same spot twice, hence a problem area may look random) try scaling back some of the graphical enhancements.

Also, see if Lock Threads to Cores helps at all.
just me. I already have lock threads to cores checked. hm... is it maybe because I'm running it off the cd drive? should I copy it to my computer instead?
You can try this, yeah. But I suggest you to check the OpenMP Texture Decoder. Also set the Framelimit to "auto"
Also afaict you're not using 3.0, you're using a texcache-rewrite build :3
(11-27-2012, 10:51 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Also afaict you're not using 3.0, you're using a texcache-rewrite build :3
The image above were the settings the person from youtube posted, here are my settings, can you help me fix the 50% slowdown as I described above?

Dolphin Config
General
-enabled dual core
-enabled idle skipping
-frame limit: auto
-JIT
-Lock threads to cores

Interface
-enabled panic handlers
-boomy
-system language

Audio
DSP HLE
Enabled dtk
enabled audio throttle
dsound
48000 hz

Gamecube
enabled skip bios

Wii
use EURGB60
AR 16:9

Graphics Config
General
direct 3d11
fullscreen resolution 1680x1050
AR auto
enabled auto adjust window size

Enhancements
3x native 1920x1584 (i dont have 4x listed)
AA none
AF 16x
enabled scaled EFB copy

Hacks
enabled skip efb
enabled ignore format changes
EFB copies texture
texture cache fast
disabled external frame buffer
disabled per pix depth
enabled openMP

Advanced
nothing enabled here
(11-28-2012, 08:59 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Try the settings in this thread: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-set...unofficial
those settings worked great, I just left the 3x native 1920x1584 on and it looks pretty good. how can I get to to 4x though?
Pages: 1 2