Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Unusual Super Smash Melee Slow Down
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys, I'm having a problem with Super Smash Brothers Melee (SSBM) slowing down. I have used the search however, many posts suggest the default settings should work (except the sound of coarse). Yet this is not the case for me, so I'm hoping someone can point out something I missed or knows a solution that may not be posted.

AMD FX-Quad Core 3.6Ghz
Nvidia 550 TI
8G DDR3
Windows 7 x64

I believe my specs should be above the line for running this game at 100%. My current settings are the newest version of Dolphin's default settings. The slow downs only happen when more than 2 players are on the map or it's a giant moving map. All resolutions are on native.
Try 3.0, and your CPU may not be fast enough for more than 2 players Wink
(11-23-2012, 12:48 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Try 3.0, and your CPU may not be fast enough for more than 2 players Wink
I'm using 3.0, and I'm not sure if that was sarcasm O.O my apologies if it wasn't but I reallllllly don't think it's my CPU falling behind. I've even Frapsed video while use Dolphin and I've had SSBB running on the Wii end of things with no slow downs. To quite honest as I was typing that last sentence it kinda hit me that the slow downs are kind of a new thing..I've had SSBM running full speed and Animal Crossing (Which slows in the 4 house town area thing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71P6KkT87l8 (SEE!)
Um , which FX- 4xxx do you have ? Bulldozer or Piledriver ?
Multi-Player require much more CPU power
For example . Mario Kart can run full speed on my laptop but MK with 4 players (4 wiimotes) need i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz
Bulldozer suffers from low IPC . Phenom II IPC is better
Piledriver is abit better than Bulldozer
I explained why FX CPU is not suitable for Dolphin here
Overclocking will help you
My apologize for sounding ignorant but I'm not 100% sure. I'm looking at the box and the information says FX 4100 Black Edition. I see you've already did some testing with the FX CPUs however, I promise as hard as it might be to believe me, I've had Super Smash Bros Brawl and Melee running at 100% at one point in the past. (I've deleted Dolphin and gotten it since then.)

The weirdest part about it, is last week I was running Animal Crossing at 100% with internal resolution turned up to 1920x1080 and antialiasing on a x4 with no problems. Now it slows down in the player housing area..Idk what I did to make that occur..I'm even back down to native and it's still a problem.
Try Dolphin 3.0 stable release and these settings

According to this thread , Nvidia GTX 550Ti can handle 4x IR , no AA , 16x AF . About Anti-aliasing (AA) : SSAA of directx 9 backend is very demanding , you should use MSAA of Directx11 beckend

Quote: FX 4100
As i expected , you have Bulldozer CPU
Just overclock your CPU to 4.0GHz , you will gain more speed
I've never overclocked but I'm smart enough to do some research before just jump the gun and start doing it. However, when it comes to the GPU ...I've gained some speed back by upping the internal resolution???? It's odd but I swear I have. Let me get back to you on the overclocking.
With those GPU settings, overclocking the CPU, and getting the stable build of 3.0, I seem to be running at full speed no matter the scenario. Hell even the music works in Super Smash Bros. Melee which I hear is odd. XD

Thanks a lot for the help guys!
The music in Melee runs fine like 99% of the time under HLE audio. On occasion, it will drop/cut out entirely though. I don't encounter it all that often. Enjoy the game in HD Wink