Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour crashes randomly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, sorry if this has been posted before, I did a search on this in the forums but didn't find a thread similiar to this I'm going to post, but hey, I just want to report an issue I experienced with Dolphin when playing this game.

I'll try to keep this short, this happens randomly, game runs smooth as silk with minor graphical glitches in-game, major graphical glitches in the menus but you can still navigate through it fine. I know that this has nothing to do with my PC at all, I'm running the 310.33 driver by Nvidia which is a Beta driver, but has not yield any issues at all for me. I tried both the DX11- and OpenGL backend with the same issue popping up so don't know what's going on there. I'll post the dumps below.

Crash message
Spoiler:
Text file dump
Spoiler:
DX11 Backend settings (very similiar to my OpenGL backend settings)
Spoiler:
I'm not asking for any workarounds, just a thread I created to report this mess. If you want to know more, check my profile to see my specs and Dolphin build.
Next time try to post in the official game thread (when there is one).
Mario Golf: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-gc-...our--26004
(11-21-2012, 11:20 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Next time try to post in the official game thread (when there is one).
Mario Golf: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-gc-...our--26004
Noted! Thanks for the heads up.
Usually the "failed to compile pixel shaders" is the result of an inadequate GPU, but that's clearly not the case with the GTX 580. Seems like it could be a driver issue. Even if you don't have any issues anywhere else, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't have issues elsewhere (i.e. with Dolphin). You could try reverting to previous drivers, especially if you noticed that they did fine with Dolphin.

You might also want to give the D3D9 backend a try over the D3D11 or OGL ones.
(11-22-2012, 03:17 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Usually the "failed to compile pixel shaders" is the result of an inadequate GPU, but that's clearly not the case with the GTX 580. Seems like it could be a driver issue. Even if you don't have any issues anywhere else, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't have issues elsewhere (i.e. with Dolphin). You could try reverting to previous drivers, especially if you noticed that they did fine with Dolphin.

It's never a driver issue. Each and every time I've heard that suggestion here it was wrong :p Only exception might be the OS X lighting issue, but w/e

Fwiw, try clearing the contents of your User/ShaderCache folder. nevermind that one.

Try disabling per-pixel lighting, you seem to have that enabled.
(11-22-2012, 05:35 AM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]It's never a driver issue. Each and every time I've heard that suggestion here it was wrong :p

It's never been a driver issue, yet. One day though, Nvidia or AMD might screw up. Doubtful, but not impossible Wink Anyway, good find with disabling Per-Pixel lighting. Some forum searching reveals it's like the #2 reason for failed compilation of pixel shaders, right after some of Intel's IGPs.
Yeah, it's an actual bug in Dolphin code in this case, though Wink
(11-22-2012, 05:35 AM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2012, 03:17 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Usually the "failed to compile pixel shaders" is the result of an inadequate GPU, but that's clearly not the case with the GTX 580. Seems like it could be a driver issue. Even if you don't have any issues anywhere else, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't have issues elsewhere (i.e. with Dolphin). You could try reverting to previous drivers, especially if you noticed that they did fine with Dolphin.

It's never a driver issue. Each and every time I've heard that suggestion here it was wrong :p Only exception might be the OS X lighting issue, but w/e

Fwiw, try clearing the contents of your User/ShaderCache folder. nevermind that one.

Try disabling per-pixel lighting, you seem to have that enabled.
I'll give it a shot! Seeing that other games I've tried works without a hitch (on Dolphin) I'd assume it's an issue related to Dolphin and not to my drivers.

EDIT0: I tried with per-pixel lightning off and still got the same problem.

Crash message
Spoiler:
Text file dump
Spoiler:
So yeah, idk what's cooking there.

EDIT1: Posting this to let you guys know I'm not screwing you over with outdated hardware

Spoiler:
Have you tried using Direct3D9 for the graphics backend yet?
Tried with older builds? Tried with Dolphin 3.0?
Pages: 1 2