Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Skies of Arcadia + Current Hardware
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am having difficulties getting Skies of Arcadia to run at full speed, despite looking at some existing advice, so I wanted to check if my hardware should be good enough to achieve it.

Intel Core i5 3570K, OC to 4.2Ghz per core
Nvidia 560 GTX (OC Edition)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM
128GB SSD Crucial M4

My expectations and hopes are just to be able to run Skies of Arcadia Legends without suffering major drops in frame rate. Even at the intro, especially when it goes to dialog, I notice the speed dropping down to about 90% which makes for a somewhat jerky, somewhat sound distorted experience.

I am using the last stable release of Dolphin 3.0 to get this up and running and I did attempt to use DSP LLE recompiler locked to its own thread.
Pls post your Dolphin settings.
If you do use LLE and LLE on Thread, right-click the game in Dolphin and go to Properties, then enable Accurate VBeam Emulation; it should help. I'm able to run this game on LLE with the latest Dolphin revisions without major drops in FPS. It's almost always 30 FPS everywhere, some instances it drops to 20 in some specific areas, but I've so far only encountered two of them, and they were very brief. At any rate, unless you're an audiophile or an emulation purist, HLE audio sounds very comparable to LLE in the latest revisions, anything higher than 3.0-809 should be good.
Hello again! Thank you to both for replying to my topic!
(11-18-2012, 02:13 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Pls post your Dolphin settings.
I am currently using the default settings with v3.0-830 although I have enabled vbeam emulation for Skies of Arcadia.

(11-18-2012, 02:52 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]If you do use LLE and LLE on Thread, right-click the game in Dolphin and go to Properties, then enable Accurate VBeam Emulation; it should help. I'm able to run this game on LLE with the latest Dolphin revisions without major drops in FPS. It's almost always 30 FPS everywhere, some instances it drops to 20 in some specific areas, but I've so far only encountered two of them, and they were very brief. At any rate, unless you're an audiophile or an emulation purist, HLE audio sounds very comparable to LLE in the latest revisions, anything higher than 3.0-809 should be good.
Thanks for this advice! I have updated to the latest stable release and found it actually played with very reasonable speed when I had vbeam enabled. I did find that with HLE emulation sound was okay but had some blips in it and it tended to play much slower than the game itself was. I would happily stick with HLE if I could figure out how to get around this problem. However, by and large I now get a nice stable 100% with no drop in speed. I am incredibly happy Big Grin
A word of advice, make sure to turn off Accurate VBeam Emulation when using HLE audio. It doesn't seem to be very beneficial in this game with HLE audio, as I got audio blips as well; turning it off helped. When using LLE audio, Accurate VBeam Emulation seems to do alright however.

Also note that the latest stable version is 3.0 (not 3.0-XXX). The one you're using is an experimental GIT version; think bleeding edge. The next stable release will be 4.0, but the latest GIT releases will reflect a lot of the coming changes for that future release.
(11-18-2012, 12:00 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]A word of advice, make sure to turn off Accurate VBeam Emulation when using HLE audio. It doesn't seem to be very beneficial in this game with HLE audio, as I got audio blips as well; turning it off helped. When using LLE audio, Accurate VBeam Emulation seems to do alright however.

Also note that the latest stable version is 3.0 (not 3.0-XXX). The one you're using is an experimental GIT version; think bleeding edge. The next stable release will be 4.0, but the latest GIT releases will reflect a lot of the coming changes for that future release.
Thanks I will keep these things in mind. Just to report back a bit on my progress, I started using the latest builds because no combination of settings seemed to get beyond the huge lag I was finding with the current stable release (3.0). So far my best results have come from using LLE Recompiler and VBeam emulation. I gave HLE another shot without vbeam but there was still a lot of inaccuracies with the audio. By and large, the latest build + LLE Recompiler seems to work pretty well with the exception of cut scenes where emulation speed drops to about 50%.
You are doing something wrong,I have only i5 2400 and game runs fullspeed in animation too with LLE...
It does drop to either 20 or 25 fps in some scenes, but gamespeed ( VPS ) remains at 100% and sound doesnt stutter..
I am thinking maybe game movies are meant to drop in fps sometimes because its doing the same thing with HLE
Yeah something seems off. OP, your machine is quite a beast, LLE audio should be almost nothing for this game. Like rpglord, some scenes drop to as low as 20 with LLE audio and VBeam enabled for me, but these spots are rare and over in less than a minute. Everywhere else is 30 FPS at all times. Perhaps you should post your settings so we can see exactly what your configuration is.
Hi again. Apologies for not getting my settings up a little bit sooner, have been swamped with course work. I am not sure what the best form is for uploading settings so here is a combined screenshot of all the various panels. Let me know if I am missing anything important and I will get some additional screenshots up.

One thought which came to mind: is it possible that the EU version of the game emulates differently to the US version? What version have other people tested it with and had greater success?
Everything seems ok with your settings.
Only difference between EU and US version is that you should be getting max 25 fps instead of 30, there shouuldn't be any other speed difference.
Can you post a screenshot when it drops to 50% ?
Also, is sound ok when it drops ? Or does it stutter/skip ?
If sound is ok, then who cares Smile It might even be meant to drop, like Shonumi and I said it does drop to 20 fps instead of 30 in opening animation
Pages: 1 2