Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Deleted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

HybridCore

Deleted
(11-17-2012, 07:13 AM)HybridCore Wrote: [ -> ]I don't overclock

(11-17-2012, 07:13 AM)HybridCore Wrote: [ -> ]I play Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Have fun with that XD
^^ This ( © by ED2 ) Big Grin

Yeah, he's right. Mario Galaxy 1+2 and some other games require an overclocked CPU Tongue

HybridCore

(11-17-2012, 08:05 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]^^ This ( © by ED2 ) Big Grin

Yeah, he's right. Mario Galaxy 1+2 and some other games require an overclocked CPU Tongue
Oh gosh, this is going to be a problem then.

Will the Xeon 1230V2 work fine then? (basically an i7 without an integrated GPU on die for $240. No overclocking though)
Most games will be playable, yeah (some fullspeed some not). But note, that you'll have performance problems in heavy games (like SMG1+2)

HybridCore

(11-17-2012, 08:32 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Most games will be playable, yeah (some fullspeed some not). But note, that you'll have performance problems in heavy games (like SMG1+2)
Suddenly my dreams have been crushed. Tongue

Okay, looks like SMG will be reserved for my Wii (or get a Wii U but that's going to be pretty expensive, at least at launch).
Just buy i5 3570k (170$ on microcenter.com) + Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 -> overclock to 4.2GHz like a boss . Xeon and i7 Hyper Theading are wasteful , you will not gain a single FPS over an i5
Yoc can spend the rest of money for the monitor , SSD , Graphic Card (Nvidia GTX 660Ti for example)
FYI, it won't be too hard to get fullspeed in SMG1+2 if you use DSP HLE. That might or might not cause some instability and sound problems ingame though, depending on delroth's progress on fixing stuff.. Tongue
Yeah, I'd hold out a while to see what delroth's current meddlings (aka actually doing things properly) do to HLE speed and compatibility. You may be fine with a much less powerful CPU.

However, if I was in your situation, I'd get the 3570k and overclock it, because as long as you're reasonably careful, you'll get the necessary speed to play anything that will play on anything, and do no damage to anything that you'll notice within 15 years.
Quote:Poor Man's Wii
Quote:I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible.

There are $99 Wii deals for Black Friday. Tongue

Ok, seriously now, here's my advice. Stick to the core components you need, toss out the rest. No SSD, decent but not extravagant case, cheap HDD (the WD10EZEX you listed is a good choice), mid-range GPU, 4-8GB of ram, etc. Then, put the money you save into quality parts to make Dolphin well, like the CPU, fan (overclocking), and motherboard. You can easily get a better GPU or an SSD later, so you should focus on the core of the system, and go from there.

Quote:Heatsink - Hyper 212 EVO

Careful with 212s. The Evo is the good one: a decent cooler at a surprisingly low price. All other 212s are crap.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cf...700&page=5
Pages: 1 2 3