Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Random FPS drops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I get random fps drops in nearly all the games and was wondering what is bottlenecking me. Native resolution 1x-4x makes no difference and I've tried many settings that I think would affect this. When the fps drops, maximum core usage is usually about 65%. Any ideas?

Dolphin x64 r803
Intel i5 3570k@4800Mhz
Radeon 7950 1225Mhz/1575Mhz
8GB RAM
Windows 8 PRO 64 bit
Pls post your Dolphin settings. Also try to check your temps with CoreTemp, maybe your CPU is just overheating (4.8GHz for a core i5-3570k is much)
(11-08-2012, 01:37 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Pls post your Dolphin settings. Also try to check your temps with CoreTemp, maybe your CPU is just overheating (4.8GHz for a core i5-3570k is much)
Like I said I have tried many different combinations of settings, DSP LLE on and off, EFB to texture or to ram, even native 1x but it does not seem to make any difference. Temps are about 60c I have good cooling, that is not the issue. I posted the question because it seems I'm missing something, I thought I would get solid 60fps with this cpu.
Your CPU is a beast!

The problem must be your settings. Can u pls post screenshots of them?
(11-08-2012, 01:52 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Your CPU is a beast!

The problem must be your settings. Can u pls post screenshots of them?
Yeah, seems to overclock pretty well for an Ivy Bridge

Current settings:

General:
Enable Dual core
Idle Skipping
Framelimit: Audio
Jit Recompiler

Audio:
DSP LLE
LLE on thread

Graphics:
DX9
4x Native
Scaled EFB copy
EFB copies RAM, Enable cache

But I have tried many, many combinations of these and still the fps keeps dropping sometimes. None of the cores on the CPU use more than 65% when the drops happen, and they happen on 1x native resolution as well so I have no idea what my bottleneck is.
What FPS do you get in your games? Which games do you play usually?
(11-08-2012, 02:09 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]What FPS do you get in your games? Which games do you play usually?
The fps is full 60 most of the time, these little drops just annoy me especially since I have no idea what the reason is. I mostly play Mario Kart and Super Mario galaxy, the fps drops more frequently on Mario Kart.
Oh yeah, these FPS drops are normal. No CPU can handle a game all the time at 100% game speed. That's nearly impossible.

But I can remember, that the "OpenMP Texture Decoder" can fix micro stuttering. I don't know, if "little FPS drops" is stuttering, but try to check this option Tongue
(11-08-2012, 02:12 AM)ITN Wrote: [ -> ]The fps is full 60 most of the time, these little drops just annoy me especially since I have no idea what the reason is

Speed drops are normal. For 60 fps games having speed drops between 50-60 isn't unusual Tongue .
You can eventually try to check "VBeam" in game properties (click right on the game in your gamelist. Go into properties and check the option)
Yeah, and you could try this settings -> http://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/settings/

(plus my hint with the OpenMP Texture Decoder)
Pages: 1 2