Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Any am3+ cpus good for emulation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was wondering if there were any good am3+ socket cpus that are good for emulation, I know my current amd fx-6100 isn't Thanks in advanced

Edit: Here are all the cpus my motherboard supports:AMD AM3+ FX™/Phenom™ II/Athlon™ II/Sempron™ 100 Series Processors
Supports AM3+ 32 nm CPU
Supports CPU up to 8 cores
Supports CPU up to 140 W
AMD Cool 'n' Quiet™ Technology

(Copied and pasted that sorry it kinda looks wierd)

So any suggestions on the best cpu out of those for like 100-150 maybe a little more.
Piledriver FX-8350 should be able to run most games fullspeed
Don't expect fullspeed on demanding games such as The Last Story , Xenoblade , Mario Galaxy , Pandora's Tower ...
It's fast because it has 8 cores and better IPC perfomance than bulldozer
However Piledriver's performance on Dolphin is not even close to Intel Sandy Bridge (i5 2400 , i5 2500k ) because Dolphin uses 2 cores + 1 core (if you enable "LLE on threads")
The best CPU for Dolphin is ether i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz or i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz
About your GPU , just stick with directx9 or OpenGL backend , you will be fine
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=22966

Ok cool, thanks for the quick response, I did try Dx11 in the settings, didnt make much of a difference, And one more question if you don't mind, Right now Im using dolphin to emulate Gamecube games, Im only getting 40-50 fps, now is that my cpu(Amd fx-6100) or is something maybe misconfigured in Dolphin? And that FX-8350 is a hell of a upgrade, I thank you for telling me about it, I didnt know they had a stock 8 core at 4ghz but is there one maybe a tad bit cheaper?
2 choices for you :
_Overclock your FX-6100
_Buy Phenom II x 4 965 (Much better IPC perfomance than the fx-6100 -> Huge improvement for Dolphin)
Ok thank you very much, Ill look into that Phenom and the 8350 see which one i will get
I'd try different CPU affinity setups. CPU 0/2, 0/2/4 (1 thread per module) or CPU 0/1 (higher turbo speed).
I don't think thread affinity will do that much, but I guess it is worth a shot. Performance wont be amazing either way, but ok.
Ok Ill give that a try thank you
Quote: Im using dolphin to emulate Gamecube games, Im only getting 40-50 fps
Please tell me the name of those games . F zero GX (GC) is CPU intensive game
Up to 20% in synthetics with 1 thread per module but its only giving up 300MHZ to do that. FX 6100 loses 600MHZ with no turbo so it could either way here.
Pages: 1 2