Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How will this laptop run Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi, I am looking at a new laptop to possibly buy, and I will be getting Dolphin when I get the laptop. The specs would be...

OS - Windows 7 x64
CPU - i7-3630QM (2.40GHz 6MB)
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M 2GB
RAM - 8GB

How well would this setup be able to run games on Dolphin? Most, if not all, the games I play will be Gamecube games, if that makes a small difference.
Thanks for any help!
It should work fine.
Only demanding games and games requiring LLE will give you troubles.
Depends which games you plan to play
(10-24-2012, 09:44 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]It should work fine.

Alright thanks! Mostly the classics, SSM, Zelda: WW, and a few other assorted games.
That specs should be good enough for most games (not all)
However , what type of laptop is that ? Gaming laptop (good cooling ) or multi-media laptop (bad cooling)
(10-24-2012, 09:45 AM)Pacoheadley Wrote: [ -> ]

Alright thanks! Mostly the classics, SSM, Zelda: WW, and a few other assorted games.

SSM? I suppose you mean SSBM : Super Smash Bros Melee. Right?
SSBM and Zelda WW will work fine
(10-24-2012, 09:47 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]That specs should be good enough for most games (not all)
However , what type of laptop is that ? Gaming laptop (good cooling ) or multi-media laptop (bad cooling)

Looks like the site says multi-media.
(10-24-2012, 09:48 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-24-2012, 09:45 AM)Pacoheadley Wrote: [ -> ]

SSM? I suppose you mean SSBM : Super Smash Bros Melee. Right?
SSBM and Zelda WW will work fine

My bad on the typo Blush
...Well , multi-media laptop is not good for dolphin , it might have overheating issue when dolphin is running ( See my sig , i modded my multi-media laptop for better cooling)
It looks like you have Lenovo Ideapad Y580
(10-24-2012, 10:08 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]...Well , multi-media laptop is not good for dolphin , it might have overheating issue when dolphin is running ( See my sig , i modded my multi-media laptop for better cooling)
It looks like you have Lenovo Ideapad Y580

How much do you think this would effect my playing? Would this only be a problem if it was on for an extended period of time?
Of course, this is all assuming I am able to get this laptop. With what I have, it is $1429 - a $480 eCoupon, for a total of $949. I don't know how long the deal will be available for.
P.S. (Nice guess on the laptop)
The effect would happen in about 15 seconds. Your computer would slow down to save itself from frying, and as a result your FPS will drop dramatically.
Quote: Would this only be a problem if it was on for an extended period of time?
>10 minutes
CPU temp would be 90 degree celsius or more if both CPU and GPU were active
@DefenderX has Lenovo Ideapad with i7 2670QM + Nvidia GT 540M , his laptop run hot with dolphin (80-90C if i remember correctly) close to the point of overheating
Your laptop will run hotter than his laptop since the Ideapad Y580 has the high-end GPU GTX 660M
Multi-media laptop has only 1 fansink for both CPU and GPU while gaming laptop use dual fansink , 1 for CPU and 1 for GPU
[Image: IdeaPad-Y580-Laptop-PC-Back-View-10L-940x475.jpg]
[Image: fa5409dc-e284-4ef2-9884-4a41d44e864d.800x500.jpg]

Pages: 1 2 3