Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: "An invalid device is inserted in slot A Please remove it and insert a memorycard."
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was playing Super Paper Mario for about a day just fine, I closed it off and went back to it a couple minutes later, and I had an error saying "An invalid device is inserted in slot A Please remove it and insert a memorycard."

I'm assuming my data is probably gone, but I'm fine restarting.
Any help to get the memory card working again?
Are you using ingame save states and dolphin's state save functionality at the same time? That's bound to cause bugs like this sooner or later. Might as well be a different issue altogether, though.
(10-24-2012, 02:45 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using ingame save states and dolphin's state save functionality at the same time? That's bound to cause bugs like this sooner or later. Might as well be a different issue altogether, though.

That all depends, what I'm doing is just hitting the save block and letting it do its thing.
That's in-game saving then; make sure that Dolphin is using the emulated memory card. Click the Config button and look at the GameCube tab. Make sure that the device in Slot A (or B if that's what you're using) is set to a memory card and not something else (e.g. the GC microphone).
(10-24-2012, 03:38 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]That's in-game saving then; make sure that Dolphin is using the emulated memory card. Click the Config button and look at the GameCube tab. Make sure that the device in Slot A (or B if that's what you're using) is set to a memory card and not something else (e.g. the GC microphone).

Yep, slot A is set to memory card, so that can't be the problem.
Could you post your Dolphin settings of the Gamecube tab, preferably as a screenshot?
(10-24-2012, 05:11 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Could you post your Dolphin settings of the Gamecube tab, preferably as a screenshot?

Don't think I have any way to post screen shots, I'll read you through it.

Skip Bios [checked]
System Language: English

Slot A: Memory Card
Slot B: Nothing
SP1: Nothing
Port 1: Standard Controller
Port 2: Nothing
Port 3: Nothing
Port 4: Nothing
Quote:Don't think I have any way to post screen shots

But, you do know how to google it, right? Big Grin Just to be clear, are you playing Paper Mario: TTYD or Super Paper Mario for the Wii? I read your post too quickly, but assumed it was the GC title since you talked about the memory card.

Anyway, all of your settings there check out. You can do several things from here. If you haven't played very much, you can delete the emulated memory card; it should be somewhere in your Dolphin folder, like User\GC or User\Sys\GC, I forget, not at my computer atm. Dolphin will create a new emulated memory card file and you can try again. This method, however, deletes the whole memory card, so it'll erase everything you have on it. You might want to make a backup before deleting anything.

You can also export the save file associated with Paper Mario:TTYD by going to Options->Memory Card Manager, and selecting your memory card file (hit the "..." button to browse to it). Once it loads up, you can select the in-game save and export it somewhere as a .gci file. Once you create a new memory card by deleting the old one, you can just import the .gci file so you don't lose any progress. Of course, this is all useless if you're talking about the Wii Paper Mario.

Also, see this thread: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=11209
(10-24-2012, 06:07 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Don't think I have any way to post screen shots

But, you do know how to google it, right? Big Grin Just to be clear, are you playing Paper Mario: TTYD or Super Paper Mario for the Wii? I read your post too quickly, but assumed it was the GC title since you talked about the memory card.

Anyway, all of your settings there check out. You can do several things from here. If you haven't played very much, you can delete the emulated memory card; it should be somewhere in your Dolphin folder, like User\GC or User\Sys\GC, I forget, not at my computer atm. Dolphin will create a new emulated memory card file and you can try again. This method, however, deletes the whole memory card, so it'll erase everything you have on it. You might want to make a backup before deleting anything.

You can also export the save file associated with Paper Mario:TTYD by going to Options->Memory Card Manager, and selecting your memory card file (hit the "..." button to browse to it). Once it loads up, you can select the in-game save and export it somewhere as a .gci file. Once you create a new memory card by deleting the old one, you can just import the .gci file so you don't lose any progress. Of course, this is all useless if you're talking about the Wii Paper Mario.

Also, see this thread: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=11209

Alright, I deleted the memory card and it works fine again, any ideas on how to prevent this from happening again? Oh, and yes. It is the GC.
Judging by the thread I linked to, it looks like this happens with corrupted emulated memory cards. If you look at the thread, the MemoryCardA.USA.RAW for the OP was 0 bytes (obviously, you aren't going to get far with data that size). Dolphin may have opened the emulated memory card file, truncated it (wiping the whole thing before writing to it), but never got around to writing the data back again. I'm not familiar with Dolphin's memory card code, but a dev named LPFaint99 might. Essentially, I wouldn't quit Dolphin until it confirms that the save has been written (you'll see yellow text at the top of your screen). Just like on a real GameCube, wait for the save to finish. Keep backups of the emulated memory card file, and try using save states as well (press Shift+F1, F2, etc, to save anywhere, these are not entirely reliable though, use as a "Plan B" only).
Pages: 1 2