Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New computer - will it run?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Currently waiting on my new build to get here and was wanting to try out emulating my games on the PC for better graphics(and on a better monitor). I have never emulated gamecube and wii, only heard that most people get low fps and can't run the emulator.

Specs:
i5-3570 running at 3.4Ghz w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler (Will upgrade to an i7-3820 sometime down the road)
Nvidia GTX 670 2Gb of memory
8Gb of 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM
Windows 7 Professional

I will be wanting to play games such as Kirby Air ride, Pikmin, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime for the gamecube, as well as some of the popular Wii titles (Zelda games, Super mario galaxy).

Will this computer be able to run these games well with a bearable FPS? Just wanting to know from someone with first-hand experience on emulating these consoles before I purchase some controllers to use for them.
Most games will run fine on that set up. The Zelda games you mentioned as well as the GameCube games will work well.

Super Mario Galaxy will slow down if you use LLE audio (required to pass grand star levels). Is that a 3570K or a 3570 as you have listed? If you can, overclocking to 4.2 GHz (which your cooler may be able to handle if you do it right) will let all games run full speed (30 or 60 FPS depending on the game).
(10-15-2012, 08:50 AM)Axxer Wrote: [ -> ]Most games will run fine on that set up. The Zelda games you mentioned as well as the GameCube games will work well.

Super Mario Galaxy will slow down if you use LLE audio (required to pass grand star levels). Is that a 3570K or a 3570 as you have listed? If you can, overclocking to 4.2 GHz (which your cooler may be able to handle if you do it right) will let all games run full speed (30 or 60 FPS depending on the game).

No, it is not the K edition. That was just barely out of my budget for the computer. I will be purchasing a different CPU in a few months and will look into one that can overclock.

Without overclocking, what FPS do you think this setup will be able to run most games at?
Most games will run full speed with that CPU. The most demanding games, however (Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, The Last Story, and Xenoblade) will run about 45-50 FPS I would think.

As for your new CPU, I don't know why you are buying a new one so quickly. The 3570 is excellent. The 3820 won't offer that much of an improvement in most applications.

The best processor for Dolphin (and pretty much all circumstances) is the 3570K. You basically have that processor already, so unless you can sell your current CPU to make buying a new one very inexpensive I would wait for the newer Haswell CPUs.

EDIT: oh, and your GPU will run all games with 4x IR (over 1080p) and some antialiasing.
(10-15-2012, 09:04 AM)Axxer Wrote: [ -> ]Most games will run full speed with that CPU. The most demanding games, however (Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, The Last Story, and Xenoblade) will run about 45-50 FPS I would think.

As for your new CPU, I don't know why you are buying a new one so quickly. The 3570 is excellent. The 3820 won't offer that much of an improvement in most applications.

The best processor for Dolphin (and pretty much all circumstances) is the 3570K. You basically have that processor already, so unless you can sell your current CPU to make buying a new one very inexpensive I would wait for the newer Haswell CPUs.

EDIT: oh, and your GPU will run all games with 4x IR (over 1080p) and some antialiasing.

I am buying a new one so quickly because I was wanting to buy it in the first place, however my budget wouldn't allow it so i went with a cheaper locked CPU. I will need a CPU with more threads for some of the programs I run on the computer.

And when turning up the resolution, it doesn't distort the image does it?
Turning up the resolution doesn't distort the image, no.

If you need more cores and still want to run Dolphin full speed for Super Mario Galaxy (trust me it sucks slow) you will want a K or X series processor.
(10-15-2012, 09:19 AM)Axxer Wrote: [ -> ]Turning up the resolution doesn't distort the image, no.

If you need more cores and still want to run Dolphin full speed for Super Mario Galaxy (trust me it sucks slow) you will want a K or X series processor.

Alright, I will probably wait a bit longer (around a year) and get the i7-3930k then. Overclocking will probably help out in other applications as well.
Make sure you have Z77 mobo , you can't overclock i5 3570k without it
BTW, i7 3930k is Sandy Bridge - E while i5 3570k is Ivy Bridge . You just waste money but you will have to overclock that i7 anyway
Quote:Make sure you have Z77 mobo , you can't overclock i5 3570k without it

The P67, Z68, and Z75 chipsets also support an unlocked core multiplier.
Quote: P67, Z68
Bios update will be required if he plan to buy Ivy Bridge CPU . Depend on the manufacture , not all mobo has bios update
Be careful with that
Quote:I will probably wait a bit longer (around a year)
Wait for Haswell instead (Big improvement)
Pages: 1 2