Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Disc vs ISO
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

SyCoREAPER

I have read through the threads tried various settings. None seem to be working 100%. I have admittedly only tried one game so far (only had time to copy 1 of my brothers Wii Games, One Piece: Unlimited Adventure) and it is an ISO right now. Oh and of course the problem: Menu smooth, Game Camera seems smooth but everything when it comes to button presses and movement it is chunky. The graphics look amazing though just as good as on the Wii.

My question is if my problem is any of the following:

1) Most plausible, the game is now very hard to get so I doubt much has been done to me Dolphin compatible.

2) Does Dolphin not like ISO's? In other words, should I "borrow" and only run legit Wii discs from my brothers instead?

3) And I would find this hard to swallow, are my system specs not high enough? Only weak point might be the Graphics card.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz
GFX: ATI Radeon HD5670 1GB GDDR5
RAM: Not sure on Brand - 8GB
HDD: Crucial M4 SSD
It's probably your CPU actually. You need a very powerful CPU for Dolphin.

SyCoREAPER

(09-14-2012, 10:01 AM)Axxer Wrote: [ -> ]It's probably your CPU actually. You need a very powerful CPU for Dolphin.

The CPU? It's 6 cores and 3.3Ghz or is dolphin programmed for dual at most? How can it be the weak part? Not saying it isn't but I am having a hard time comprehending how that could be. Spec-wise its only slightly inferior to yours. This guy: Mario Kart Wii is running perfect on a fricken Intel E7400 2.8 ghz and 2GB of RAM and this guy Mario Kart Wii On an inferior AMD processor. I just doubt it is my CPU/PC but I posted in-case, its either the ISO or the game itself. Just don't know which.
Dolphin only uses 2 cores and your CPU is FAR inferior.

SyCoREAPER

(09-14-2012, 11:44 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin only uses 2 cores and your CPU is FAR inferior.

IIRC the bus speed on the i5 is faster but otherwise close or the same (and I know that's what will really matter)

Guess the game is the issue because the disc of One Piece does the same thing as the ISO. I drove to my brothers school and grabbed the disc for Mario Kart as well. Dx did not work but switching to Open GL removed glitches and the game runs perfectly (well not perfectly, still some hickups here and there but I can deal)
Quote:IIRC the bus speed on the i5 is faster but otherwise close or the same (and I know that's what will really matter)

Clock speed doesn't matter much at all when the microarchitecture sucks. Even a Phenom II at 4 GHz will still not beat a core i5 third gen at 3.3 GHz if it even gets close.
Also, disk vs ISO is a very silly question. The disc speed has hardly anything to do with performance because most of the in-scene action is already loaded into RAM. Using the disc might actually mean slower load times even because DVD drives are generally slower then hard drives.

SyCoREAPER

(09-14-2012, 11:59 AM)Axxer Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:IIRC the bus speed on the i5 is faster but otherwise close or the same (and I know that's what will really matter)

Clock speed doesn't matter much at all when the microarchitecture sucks. Even a Phenom II at 4 GHz will still not beat a core i5 third gen at 3.3 GHz if it even gets close.
Also, disk vs ISO is a very silly question. The disc speed has hardly anything to do with performance because most of the in-scene action is already loaded into RAM. Using the disc might actually mean slower load times even because DVD drives are generally slower then hard drives.

I appreciate the input but at this point its not bothering me. The issue is definitely the game/emulator. Checked the wiki and same deal. Just came to me now to youtube it too. Even people with the i5 specs are having the same issue I was having playing on dolphin.

As far as the disc vs ISO, is there a performance difference?
I never said people with that kind of i5 would run this game well. I said their CPU would do better than yours.

One Piece is in fact a demanding game, and to run it you will need a higher-clocked i5 2500K or i5 3570K afaik. The emulator is not the problem, the game isn't the problem, your computer is the problem.

Disc vs. ISO will have no difference other than load times. No impact on in-scene action whatsoever. Traveling between areas would, however, be slower with a disc than an ISO file on your very fast SSD.
Discs take maybe for an inital load about 20 seconds or so gamecube games seem to anyway) wii games most likely longer, i know that smashbros brawl takes around 2 minutes to load from a disc,unless you need the save HDD space, stick with ISO
btw dolphin can't even load from discs so...
Pages: 1 2