Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Framerate dropped/got choppy recently
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Vsync is not so much an issue anymore since Nolan corrected most of the problem, the big issue is Anti-Aliasing still causes hefty slowdowns even on powerful graphics cards where it never caused these slowdowns in the past.

This has been ongoing since around revisions 3545 or whenever the major XFB/EFB work occurred when trying to fix the pull star issue in Mario Galaxy.
The performance dropped dramtically when the the major XFB/EFB work occurred...
before that dolphin was so much faster, but with tons of bugs...
It would be great if the devs take some more time focusing on speed again when they finish fixing crashes, wich is what they seem to be doing most actually... I think one or two more weeks spent making some major cleanup could get performance back to what it was..
Not complaining, just a sugestion, please dont think I am criticising you devs, because im not, I really apreciate your work.Wink
Two things that should primarily be focused on: Performance/Speed and Compatibility, everything else is now quite trivial and sound is no longer a big issue since implementing sound in Zelda/Mario games.

It's true that some games still have graphical issues, but it's no longer much of a problem since very few games have graphical issues while most games look fine. Speed, overall performance and compatibility now seem to be the limiting factors with Dolphin which should hopefully improve as development progresses.

I could live with Dolphin if performance was improved significantly for most games. While I can always play my games on my Wii, I shouldn't have to explain the advantages and conveniences emulation offers over the actual system.

I don't deny that the frame skipping feature is nice, however it still isn't as smooth or fluid as running the game at the normal speed it was intended to run at. Games have a lagging, skipping, or stuttering feel to them due to skipping frames.

Even if slowdowns when AA is enabled were fixed I would be a happy camper regardless of whether or not any performance improvements were implemented.

I would love to lend a helping hand with Dolphin, but anything coding related is so foreign to me I couldn't even learn it if I tried.
Well, speed depends on the PCs too, the chalenge is to make dolphin as fast as possible on a PC that meets its minimum requirements, the point is that speed isnt the focus right now, so it became a bit slower as the features was implemented. To fix this the devs would have to focus on performace once again for a month or two like they did a few times in the past.
C2Q Q9550 @ 2.83 Ghz
MSI GeForce 9800 GTX+ OC
XP 32-bit

Well the lastest revs got worse yup, but i can't understand yet the reason why i got only 30 fps on RE0 and RE Remake. Any1 else got more than 30 fps on these games? If true, what is ur rig ??? :\

MarioMadness

(08-26-2009, 02:13 AM)TAV Wrote: [ -> ]C2Q Q9550 @ 2.83 Ghz
MSI GeForce 9800 GTX+ OC
XP 32-bit

Well the lastest revs got worse yup, but i can't understand yet the reason why i got only 30 fps on RE0 and RE Remake. Any1 else got more than 30 fps on these games? If true, what is ur rig ??? :\

Yeah, They Newer Revs Droped a Lot of FPS for me in tones of games Huh

But i Dont seem to be the only people with problems.

Some Games Like Mario Sunshine run great but still chould use that little bit of optimization tho.

And i Know its not my rig, I have a 3.6ghz Quad Core, And Never Had Problems With FPS Really

Edit: The Latest rev seems to work ok. But still not as fast as before. And I've noticed some sounds in Zelda TP Is gone ( like the menu music), but they fixed a few sounds too

iheartgames

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I just started using the Dolphin Emu. It's good to know that I'm not the only one suffering from FPS problems. I just downloaded Animal Crossing and when i ran the ISO, the game went smoothly but when i came into town i was experiencing big FPS drops, From 60FPS to 30-40. Mind if i ask the pros here if my rig is enough to handle Dolphin? My specs are...

Dual Core E2140 @ 1.60ghz
9500GT 512MB DDR2
2 Gigabytes of RAM
Windows XP Professional SP3

I'm currently trying out other games to see if the FPS problem still persists.

Goodluck to the Dolphin team! You guys are awesome! You make it possible for a 3rd world country boy like me who's country doesn't even know what an Xbox is to be able to have a chance to playing games like these. :]
sorry, but 1,6ghz c2d is just much to slow for most games at full speed.

if you really want to play games, you should either overclock this cpu or get a new one.

there are a few cheap cpus out there for socket 775 that are fast. e.g. the new E6300 with 2,8ghz for less then 100$.
Quick bump..

A while back it was reported that enabling AA or Vsync in the OpenGL plugin causes drastic slowdowns and stuttering, this problem was attributed to a commit by a certain developer who professed he would fix the problem as soon as he returned from vacation. This was in May, June or July, I am uncertain as to the exact time frame.

Months and several revisions later this problem still hasn't been fixed, and the developer who claimed he was going to fix it hasn't been seen again to my knowledge.

The particular commit I am referring to also cause some slowdowns even without AA or Vsync enabled, the slowdowns are more drastic with AA or Vsync enable even on powerful hardware.
which dev was it. I hate to have to look through all the revisions
wait a minute... I found him Nolan.Check. And Your Right I haven't seen him either
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8