Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: An Emulator for each game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Wouldn't it make much more sense to create a Dolphin version for each game (only the noteworthiest ones), still parallel to it the usual Dolphin Emulator?

I don't know anything about coding, but I can imagine, that when you change one thing for a game to run better, this change could also result a crash or issues in another game ..

So I came to this idea..
As usual I will get the answer, that it has been discussed alsready but I haven't found anything ..
Dolphin is an open source project, do whatever you want with it. This is a terrible idea because you have to maintain N branches of code instead of one.
implementing it in pure interpreter so that only 10Ghz cpu's can run it would achieve the same thing,
[Image: 24164439.jpg]
No, because this is a half-assed, ridiculous, asinine, and backwards way to develop an emulator.

EDIT: Also, only the note-worthiest games get the royal treatment? Why is that? Not everybody plays the same 10-20 ultra popular games and nothing else. Even if your idea was a good one, this kind of approach of only worrying about the ultra popular games is worthy of a developer whose goal is to become the next internet celebrity, not one who has a passion for the hardware and wishes for it to be faithfully reproduced and preserved so future generations may enjoy said hardware.
I agree.

But what about just having a thread where people can recommend specific builds for specific games? This would especially be helpful for people with wimpy CPUs.(Hey, that includes me!) Big Grin

I know, I know... I really should upgrade. Not this year, though.

That gives me an idea...

(08-20-2012, 07:32 PM)jeremymd Wrote: [ -> ]But what about just having a thread where people can recommend specific builds for specific games? This would especially be helpful for people with wimpy CPUs.(Hey, that includes me!) Big Grin

Feel free to create such a thread. Imo, this would be very helpful Cool

(08-20-2012, 07:39 PM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2012, 07:32 PM)jeremymd Wrote: [ -> ]But what about just having a thread where people can recommend specific builds for specific games? This would especially be helpful for people with wimpy CPUs.(Hey, that includes me!) Big Grin

Feel free to create such a thread. Imo, this would be very helpful Cool
Yeah, no.
We certainly don't want even more noobs running r5174 and complaining about the lack of m+ emulation or missing lighting.

It's also against the forum rules:
Quote:We ask that you please do not recommend that forum members use old and unsupported builds since they will most likely cause more harm than good.
We could implement some kind of option where you can download an emulation profile for each game, like how the XBox 360 runs XBox games, ie it downloads a list of settings, static recompilation and hacks needed for each game that wouldn't run otherwise, and runs its emulator with them. I know that it opens up the emulator to hacks, but the hacks would never run in the master branch, and when the master branch was more compatible, each hack could be removed.

This may have made slightly more sense in my head. On second thought it still seems like a lot of work, although if it was there, we could do some static recompilation for games which require a tonne of power to run, or only run in interpreter mode.
(08-20-2012, 07:55 PM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, no.
We certainly don't want even more noobs running r5174 and complaining about the lack of m+ emulation or missing lighting.

It's also against the forum rules:

I knew that was a major concern why it's against the rules to recommend old builds. Big Grin Total noobs posting all over the forums asking why r3000 isn't working(IS there an r3000?). I know it'd be very irritating to hear people complain about this and that about work that you're doing completely for free.

How about a disclaimer then? Use at your own risk. This build (rxxxx) is only being recommended for game xxxx. Here are the specs of the machine it was used on. Here are the gamespeeds, fps, etc. Here are the bugs you can expect. Do NOT ask for support from the devs on any problems that may arise. You can ask the 'recommender' since he may have found a workaround for that problem already and just forgot to post it.

Now after 100+ hours of game time and you find yourself standing in front of door to the room of the last boss of the game, and opening that door activates an insurmountable bug that neither you or the recommender can figure out, no, you still can't ask for help from devs. Feel free to flame each other. I think 100+ of wasted hours warrants that. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2