Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i5 or i7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been looking through the forums and it seems like every one is using i5k chips. Why isn't anyone using i7 chips? Is there a reason behind that besides price?
(07-19-2012, 09:38 AM)Kayot Wrote: [ -> ]I've been looking through the forums and it seems like every one is using i5k chips. Why isn't anyone using i7 chips? Is there a reason behind that besides price?

No performance benefit over the i5s?
Quote:No performance benefit over the i5s?

There is some from the extra cache, but it's a tiny difference, and if it turned out that someone needed just that extra bit of CPU power, it would be more sensible to OC 100MHz more.
Depend on how you use them
i5 -> no Hyper Threading (4 cores 4 threads) -> Gamer
i7 -> Hyper Threading (4cores 8 threads) -> Enthusiast
"k" version has overclocking feature , non "k" version can't overclock
Hyper Threading is useless for dolphin
i7 has larger cache size ,faster clock speed ->probably faster but not worth it
Not everyone! But then again, I guess I'm what some people would call an "enthusiast" who's been building systems for ~20 years for the sole purpose of overclocking/tweaking/benchmarking. I would've gone with an Ivy Core Extreme to be honest, but it just wasn't available. I like to think of it as my little science project if you will.

Anyhow, for gaming in general, and for Dolphin, the i5 3570K is the best bang for your buck, and that's why a lot of people recommend it. In fact, I finished a build for my dad last night, and I chose to go with a 3570k, coupled with a GTX 670, which also has a great price/performance ratio. He mainly uses it for gaming so the i5 will serve him well.
Ah, I see. The only thing I've ever done that used all six cores of my 1055T was movie processing. I'm going to build a new rig soon and decided that Intel was going to take over. No more AMD. I was divided on wheither to use an i5k or i7k. I'm starting to see that multiple cores aren't all that great after the first two. Even with load ballencing, most of the time a core will sit idle. I'm using Win7 Ultimate.

It seems the price difference is about a 100$. Since I don't really use the extra cores, it's probably a good idea to stick with i5k and that huge heat sink with the 120mm fan on it.

So how about a Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor, A motherboard like this, a Graphics card like a Zotac 560 GTX 2 GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16, and of course 4 matched DDR3 2400 4GB.

To be honest, I have never overclocked a system before. I use PS2 and Wii emulation as a benchmark for how strong a system is.

So, how does that look spec wise?
Good, except that particular motherboard maybe a bit of overkill for you. Then again, you may need a lot of USB3 and SATA 6Gb/s ports at some point. It's better to overspend and have a MoBo that works than underspend, and have one melt when you try to OC.
Yea, I need at least 6 Sata ports. 12 would be ideal for my uses and would allow me to kick these fakeraid pci-e 1x cards out of my system. USB 3, not so much.
Honestly, with a motherboard such as that (it even has dual LAN!), the fastest RAM money can buy, and the i5 3570K which we've already talked about... I'm curious as to why you'd pick the non-Ti GTX 560? I mean, it's a great card, but in my opinion doesn't quite belong in that system. Smile
processors for emulators tend to just rely on raw speed (providing you dont get bottlenecks) if you need the processing power for other things like rendering in 3dsmax or compiling code you will want an i7 really as the extra cashe and hyperthreading helps
Pages: 1 2