Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Buying a rig...Advice please?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi there. I don't wanna waste your time, so lemme get to it:

http://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-Xtrem...862&sr=1-4

vs.

http://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-Xtrem...=de_a_smtd

Some things I've noticed:
- They've got the same processor (with the GXi400 having a 8MB cache vs the i280's 6
- They've got the same sized HDD, same amount of RAM, and I'm assuming the same PSU, but I dunno, as the GXi400 doesn't specify.
- The GXi400 boasts an ATIHD 6670, while the i280 has a 7750
- They're about $10.00 apart.

So, what I wanna know is...Which one would you buy? Why? Based on the information available, would you say that it's nothing more than a difference of price at this point? I mean, sure the GXi280 has the better graphics card, but I'm guessing that's insubstantial considering either one will probably be able to at least run dolphin, right? The GXi400 has a bigger cache, but only by 2MB so I'm thinking that little detail is also insubstantial...

...At this point, I'm thinking that there's not much of a difference going on here, aside from a few measly dollars. What do you think?

Here's a list of games that I'd like to play (at a reasonable fps):

F-Zero GX
Twilight Princess
Wind Waker
Mario Sunshine
Brawl
Melee
1080: Avalanche

Thanks in advance for your responses
So...I'm not getting any responses...Perhaps I'm too impatient.

I guess maybe a better question would be, "Are the specs that are showcased on the page of those PCs good enough to run the listed games in Dolphin?"
And if the answer is no, then, "Well, what would you recommend within an $800 price range?"
If you say, "Build your own PC" I might respond with, "but I've never built one before, so I'm a little unsure of my ability to do so"
If you say, "Well, what else are you interested in doing with this computer?" I might respond, "Well, aside from playing Dolphin and other emulators, I'll be doing the usual thing; surfing the 'net, storing pictures, files, etc. I won't be doing any other CPU extensive activities, such as video editing."
If you say, "Hmph, you may as well just go out and buy a Wii/Gamecube" I'll most likely respond with, "Wow, how helpful of you! What great advice! Thanks! You truly helped me out! </sarcasm>"

CPU : i5 3570K is definitively the good choice (I plan to build with this processor soon Big Grin)
GPU : Both 6670/7750 are good cards. Almost equal performance
The I5-3570K has 6MB cache, not 8MB, so whoever said 8MB is lying.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy either of these PC's.
Why?

1. They don't list every component that's in the PC: Motherboard, PSU, etc.
2. The price. I'm pretty sure you can get much better hardware with that cash.

So I see you're going to be doing the casual surfing, etc, and playing games via Dolphin, correct?
What about PC games?
(07-18-2012, 10:05 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]CPU : i5 3570K is definitively the good choice (I plan to build with this processor soon Big Grin)
GPU : Both 6670/7750 are good cards. Almost equal performance

Hi. Thanks for your response.

So, of the two PCs shown, which would you choose? I'm leaning towards the GXi280 cause it's got that HD7750, and it's a few bucks cheaper.

I just don't want to make a purchase and then regret it later when I'm seeing spikes in performance.

I'm also worried about thermal coolers/substances. I'm worried that neither one of those PCs will come equipped with a liquid cooling peripheral, and because they probably won't I'll have to shell out more just to ensure that it doesn't fry later on...it's things like this that make me think I oughta just build one, but...I dunno.
(07-18-2012, 10:11 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]The I5-3570K has 6MB cache, not 8MB, so whoever said 8MB is lying.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy either of these PC's.
Why?

1. They don't list every component that's in the PC: Motherboard, PSU, etc.
2. The price. I'm pretty sure you can get much better hardware with that cash.

So I see you're going to be doing the casual surfing, etc, and playing games via Dolphin, correct?
What about PC games?

PC gaming? Yes. I wouldn't mind throwing Skyrim on for a few decades :p
Yo, I see you're buying a CyberPower rig. I'm pretty sure I could have assembled my rig by hand (I've done stuff like that before) but I too didn't want to build a rig for Dolphin. I also didn't feel like building my own graduation present :p

Anyway, screw Amazon on this one if you're in the US (Canada too, maybe...) and buy direct from CyberPower. I did this, and it's a great way to customize the rig to get the parts you want, and it gives you a measure of control over price. Their site does not skimp on options either, have a look for yourself. I got this rig (in my signature) for under $800, shipping included (the shipping itself was $75).

So far, running Dolphin great since January. I cut away some of the options (Windows, 1TB to 500GB HDD) but I also bumped up the GPU. They have a lot of seasonal deals too, so you might wanna keep an eye on that. My deal was free liquid cooling (not a cheap cooler either). I believe I got the Gamer Xtreme 2200 or something like that. They changed the specs since then, and I think it has the 3750K by default. Anyway, look into buying direct, even if it's not CyberPower, you can usually get better deals than on Amazon or newegg.
Quote:So, of the two PCs shown, which would you choose?

I'll second Garteal here : None. Because I prefer build by myself (or make build Tongue)
But I wanted to point out that this CPU was a good choice. For Dolphin/PCSX2/PC games... Smile
(07-18-2012, 10:35 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]I'll second Garteal here : None. Because I prefer build by myself (or make build Tongue)
But I wanted to point out that this CPU was a good choice. For Dolphin/PCSX2/PC games... Smile

^ This Big Grin
(07-18-2012, 10:11 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Motherboard

If they use H77 mobo instead of Z68/z77 mobo , you won't be able to overclock
"k" CPU is meant to be overclocked
Quote: PC gaming? Yes. I wouldn't mind throwing Skyrim on for a few decades
What resolution does your monitor support?
What graphical settings do you wish to play (most) PC games on?

I agree with Shonumi, check out the Cyberpower website and build your PC there, you have more control over your components so you can pick whatever you need yourself.
Otherwise, if you're a little technical, you can always manually purchase these components from stores and assemble the thing yourself, which is much cheaper than the option above.
Let us know what you decide and what you've built.
Pages: 1 2 3