Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dumping Virtual Console Games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know of one way to do this (NAND dump and then access the VC channel from the system menu) but I don't want to emulate within an emulator.

I read in this thread that it is possible to extract an N64 ROM from a wad of the virtual console game. The only problem is I do not have the wad of the game (because, as I understand it, wads are installers and the Wii Shop Channel automatically installs for you). I only have the meaningless numbered folder with .app files and .tik, etc.

Is there a way to either re-pack the previously installed (and backed-up) VC game into a wad, or maybe re-download the wad from Nintendo (on my Wii) and stop it from installing so I can just get the wad?

I want to play Majora's Mask on my computer (I got it for free from the Club Nintendo program, so now I don't have to worry about trying to play it on my damaged Collector's Edition disc).
If you have the NAND dump on a Windows PC, ShowMiiWads will be able to pack the VC game into a WAD.
Thanks! That worked for 2 of my games (Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG), but it doesn't work with Zelda: Majora's due to the error "The given path's format is not supported." I know exactly what's wrong; the program tried to put a colon ( : ) in a file name but Windows does not allow that. I guess I get to go edit some source code -_-

This might take a while then... I have no idea where the line of code is.
MM VC doesnt work on dolphin, i found that any VC n64 game that has a 40mb package doesn load for some reason
(07-14-2012, 10:00 AM)linkinworm Wrote: [ -> ]MM VC doesnt work on dolphin

Yeah I ended up figuring that out when the extracted N64 ROM (which was only 32 MB by the way) didn't work.

(07-14-2012, 10:00 AM)linkinworm Wrote: [ -> ]I found that any VC n64 game that has a 40mb package doesn load for some reason

Actually, one of the other games that I have (Paper Mario) is a 40 MB ROM and it works fine in both Dolphin and Project 64. I'm not so sure that the correlation that you noticed between 40 MB ROMs and problems in Dolphin is entirely correct in all cases.

I plan on making a guide to make it easier for people on these forums to extract the original console ROM from a NAND backup of their games. I'll see about posting that up soon.
Axxer, got your PM, but unfortunately you yourself don't have PMs enabled, so I couldn't respond :p

Anyway, feel free to post such a guide here in the Support forum, or in General Discussion. It's not entirely unrelated to Dolphin, since we do get a lot of questions about playing N64 VC games. The best solution, more often than not, is to use an N64 emulator, but that doesn't help those who own only the VC titles and not the N64 ROM. A guide like this would go quite a ways in addressing that issue at the least.
(07-14-2012, 11:07 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Axxer, got your PM, but unfortunately you yourself don't have PMs enabled, so I couldn't respond :p

Anyway, feel free to post such a guide here in the Support forum, or in General Discussion. It's not entirely unrelated to Dolphin, since we do get a lot of questions about playing N64 VC games. The best solution, more often than not, is to use an N64 emulator, but that doesn't help those who own only the VC titles and not the N64 ROM. A guide like this would go quite a ways in addressing that issue at the least.

Haha, my bad. I'll post that up soon, but I'm heading out of town very soon and will be away from Internet for a while. I'll try to get it up before then.
Howdy, I was going to ask Axxer about this, but they haven't been on in a while. I've also been searching for a few hours online on how to resolve the issue, but no luck.

Dumped my Wii's NAND and was able to pack Wads for all but 2 of the games, which have a file name issue. Namely this colon problem:
(07-12-2012, 12:58 PM)Axxer Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks! That worked for 2 of my games (Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG), but it doesn't work with Zelda: Majora's due to the error "The given path's format is not supported." I know exactly what's wrong; the program tried to put a colon ( : ) in a file name but Windows does not allow that. I guess I get to go edit some source code -_-

This might take a while then... I have no idea where the line of code is.
I think packing the wad to a Linux server would circumvent this, but I don't have one available to use.

If anyone has some sort of fix for this, please let me know.
>5 years ago
>"Hasn't been on in a while"
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Announcem...orum-rules
Global Forum Rules Wrote:Necroposting: Do not revive a discussion older than 6 months unless your post adds something meaningful or otherwise contributes to the thread. Please create a new thread about your subject instead. Threads violating this rule will be closed. Stickied threads, Game Discussion threads, and HD Texture threads are exempt, however, and users can freely post there regardless of how old the topics are.

Please make a new thread Tornado9797!

*waves her magic moderator wand*

Closed.