Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Buy new Wii or use dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

First off, I'd like to say that I do currently own a Wii, but am looking for a replacement because of various problems that have been cropping up. Before I go out and buy a new Wii, I figured I'd get some opinions.

It looks like all of the GC compatible Wii's are being phased out, which pushes me towards just preserving my current Wii and switching over to Dolphin primarily; I'm pretty sure my computer could run Dolphin, although I haven't ripped any of my games to try it out yet.

As far as I know, the downsides of Dolphin are that you can't go online, and that some games aren't fully compatible. I don't personally play any games online on the Wii, so that wouldn't be much of an issue for me, but the game compatibility is where I'm unsure. I've skimmed through the compatibility list, and it seems like the majority of the games I have are 4 stars as far as compatibility goes. In your experience are the "minor graphical or audio glitches" that big of a deal?

Do you think that Dolphin is solid enough that I could just use it rather than replace my Wii?

Thanks!

**Note: The main reason I'm asking rather than just trying it out myself is because I still need a bluetooth adapter and I need to either buy a second sensor bar to mod or mod my current one to draw power from USB.
Or wait for few months and get your hand on the new WiiU
Which games do you plan to play?
Wii or Dolphin ? That's simple - both. If game works well - play it with Dolphin - full HD with AA, AF and stuff, you can save anywhere etc. If it doesn't work well - there's Wii.
WiiU ? Don't bother now. Wait for about a year, buying a new console at launch is stupid imo - high prices and not a lot of games. Also chance to get some hardware or software errors.
(07-08-2012, 06:40 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Or wait for few months and get your hand on the new WiiU

Ah, I forgot to mention that I'm not too interested in getting the Wii U at release... I'd like to see how things go over with it first.

I'd also like to have a console that can play the few GC games I have held on to.

(07-08-2012, 06:43 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Which games do you plan to play?

Here are the games I currently have for Wii:

Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword
Animal Crossing
Fire Emblem
The 3 Harvest Moon games
Mario Party 9
Mario Kart
Mario Galaxy 1/2
Metroid Triligy & Other M
Monster hunter 3
Okami
Red Steel 1/2
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Xenoblade

I only have a few for GC:

Starfox Adventures
Tales of Symphonia
Super Mario Sunshine
Zelda Wind Waker

Those are most of the games that I own; I'm not sure we'll be playing ALL of them again, but we my fiancee and I sometimes like to pick up an old game and play through it again.

I also have a few games from WiiWare and the Virtual Console.. mostly N64 games for Virtual Console. Is it legal to emulate a N64 game that I own from the virtual console?
These games will be playable but for the most demanding ones such as SMG 1 & 2, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade, Monster Hunter 3, TOS you'll need to overclock
At 4.4 GHz you should be able to play all that is playable. Also at the rate we're going, I'd say we may have full online support in the master builds before Nintendo drops WiiConnect24, although that may still be a couple of years.
(07-08-2012, 06:56 AM)ShadowFlash Wrote: [ -> ]Wii or Dolphin ? That's simple - both. If game works well - play it with Dolphin - full HD with AA, AF and stuff, you can save anywhere etc. If it doesn't work well - there's Wii.
WiiU ? Don't bother now. Wait for about a year, buying a new console at launch is stupid imo - high prices and not a lot of games. Also chance to get some hardware or software errors.

It seems like this is probably going to be the way to go. I'm just hoping my current Wii holds out so I don't end up having to buy a new one... one question though, if my console is dead can I still legally use an emulator? Also, is there any file that I need to rip from the Wii to use the emulator properly?

(07-08-2012, 07:14 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]These games will be playable but for the most demanding ones such as SMG 1 & 2, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade, Monster Hunter 3, TOS you'll need to overclock

(07-08-2012, 07:18 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]At 4.4 GHz you should be able to play all that is playable. Also at the rate we're going, I'd say we may have full online support in the master builds before Nintendo drops WiiConnect24, although that may still be a couple of years.

Thanks for the info. I have my CPU sitting @ 4.0 on the stock cooler; I guess it's finally time to upgrade and try to bump it up a bit.

EDIT:

Here are the remaining questions that I have, so it's easier to find them.

If my console does end up dying can I still legally use an emulator?
Is there any file that I need to rip from the Wii to use the emulator properly?
Can I emulate the virtual console/WiiWare games that I own?

Thanks for again for the replies everyone!
Quote:I have my CPU sitting @ 4.0 on the stock cooler

Most games will be playable around 4.0 GHz

Quote:If my console does end up dying can I still legally use an emulator?

Yeah if your dumps come from games that you own

Quote:Is there any file that I need to rip from the Wii to use the emulator properly?

If you wanna use LLE you'll have to dump DSP from your console

Quote:Can I emulate the virtual console/WiiWare games that I own?

Of course you can
(07-08-2012, 07:34 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I have my CPU sitting @ 4.0 on the stock cooler

Most games will be playable around 4.0 GHz

Quote:If my console does end up dying can I still legally use an emulator?

Yeah if your dumps come from games that you own

Quote:Is there any file that I need to rip from the Wii to use the emulator properly?

If you wanna use LLE you'll have to dump DSP from your console

Quote:Can I emulate the virtual console/WiiWare games that I own?

Of course you can

Thanks again, I think that pretty much covers it. I found a nice guide for getting a DSP dump so I'll probably go ahead and do that, if I can get my SD slot to work.

The only other question I have is... are there any peripherals that don't work with Dolphin? I was going to buy the newer controllers that have motion+ built into them, but I remember briefly reading somewhere that it may not work with Dolphin... is this still the case?
Pages: 1 2