Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is a Core i7 960 enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Been looking to get into water with the Dolphin and I was wondering if my CPU was up to the task.
(06-24-2012, 07:15 AM)T1BillionX Wrote: [ -> ]Been looking to get into water with the Dolphin and I was wondering if my CPU was up to the task.

Should be fine for most titles.
There are instances where I would need more than that? I'm overclocked at 4Ghz by the way.
(06-24-2012, 07:34 AM)T1BillionX Wrote: [ -> ]There are instances where I would need more than that? I'm overclocked at 4Ghz by the way.

Metroid Prime series, Mario Galaxy Series, Zelda Twilight Princess, parts of Xenoblade, Last Story, the Pokemon titles...
Mostly those though I'm sure there are others.
Those require an overclocked i5 2500k for optimal performance.
Wow, are the old Core i7s that bad compared to the new ones?
(06-24-2012, 07:45 AM)T1BillionX Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, are the old Core i7s that bad compared to the new ones?

The new ones are better for dolphin more than anything, really.
Mostly architectural improvements.
It happens...
At least you have an i7 instead of a Phenom 2.
That processor is by no means weak, so don't upgrade or anything.
At least wait until 2013, Haswell.
(06-24-2012, 07:48 AM)werewolfyman Wrote: [ -> ]At least you have an i7 instead of a Phenom 2.
I know right!Big Grin

(06-24-2012, 07:48 AM)werewolfyman Wrote: [ -> ]That processor is by no means weak, so don't upgrade or anything.
At least wait until 2013, Haswell.
Waiting on Ivy Bridge-E skipped Sandy Bridge-E.

Don't bother.
Wait for the Haswell processors instead.
Quote:Wow, are the old Core i7s that bad compared to the new ones?

Not really. Sandy bridge can OC 12-25% higher on average and its IPC is up to 25% higher depending on the task. Bloomfield/gulftown/lyynfield/clarkdale are still quite good. However there are some games that are extremely demanding, some are even so demanding that no cpu currently in existence can run them at fullspeed.

Your question should not be "Is a core i7 960 good enough?" it should be "what is the core i7 960 good enough for?". Otherwise we don't really know what you're asking. You're asking if it's good enough but you're not telling us what it is that you're trying to do so our obvious response should be "good enough for what? What are you trying to do exactly?"
I should skip Ivy Bridge-E too? I'm going to look Haswell up then, it must bee good.
Pages: 1 2