Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is a Core i7 960 enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Haswell is intels 2013 microarchitecture.

Intel follows a development cycle that they call the "tick tock model". When they release a major microarchitecture revision it is called a "tock". The next year they will then do a die shrink of that microarchitecture and make a few minor changes, this is called a "tick". This will then be followed by a tock, then a tick, then a tock, and so on and so on. Ivy bridge is a tick, a die shrink of sandy bridge, haswell will be a tock, a major revision of the microarchitecture. Why is this important? Because ticks usually show very little improvement to performance since they are mostly just a die shrink while tocks usually make huge improvements in performance due to major improvement to the microarchitecture. Basically you usually want to wait for the next tock if you're interested in maximum performance.

Usually not much is known about new microarchitectures until about a month or two before its release so we still don't know very much about what improvement haswell will bring.

And as usual wikipedia has the best chart to illustrate the point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock
(06-24-2012, 08:12 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Wow, are the old Core i7s that bad compared to the new ones?

Not really. Sandy bridge can OC 12-25% higher on average and its IPC is up to 25% higher depending on the task. Bloomfield/gulftown/lyynfield/clarkdale are still quite good. However there are some games that are extremely demanding, some are even so demanding that no cpu currently in existence can run them at fullspeed.

Your question should not be "Is a core i7 960 good enough?" it should be "what is the core i7 960 good enough for?". Otherwise we don't really know what you're asking. You're asking if it's good enough but you're not telling us what it is that you're trying to do so our obvious response should be "good enough for what? What are you trying to do exactly?"

Guess I should have made that clearer. Basically I was asking if my CPU was good enough to run games on Dolphin smoothly with some or all the bells and whistles turned on. Werewolfyman got my question tho.
No problem.Wink
ivy bridge e is also intels 2013 architecture

intels playing unfair though, gettign the crappy dual channel platforms out and gimping the tri/quad platforms
How is that playing unfair? And how exactly are the tri/quad platforms gimped?

Also I thought ivy bridge-E was coming out late this year.
Seems like you might be able to play PCSX2 with barely any problems. As for Dolphin, get r7564, your PC should be able to lick quite a few games on that build.
But most likely with bugs and errors.
Pages: 1 2