Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Should I overclock (or is there something else I can do)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm trying to run some Wii games on my laptop. I have a MacBook Pro from early 2011 (maybe late 2010, I don't remember) with the following specs:

Intel Core i7-2720QM CPU @2.20GHz (before Turbo Boost, 3.3GHz with)
ATI Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5 VRAM
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64 bit (through bootcamp)

The problem is I have yet to find any Wii game that runs well except Animal Crossing: Wild World and Super Mario Bros Wii. Every other Wii game I have tried runs at 75% or below (usually below, closer to 50%). I changed the processor affinity to use only 3 cores (0, 2, 4) and have no enhancements (other than the scaled EFB copy). Here are my Dolphin settings:

[attachment=7915]
[attachment=7913]
[attachment=7916]
[attachment=7914]
[attachment=7917]
The Advanced tag has Enable Progressive Scan checked only.

I'm using Dolphin 3.0, and my settings aren't very high at all... I just can't seem to get any good performance. Is there something I can do, or should I overclock my CPU?

My machine doesn't suck, it runs GC games just fine, but it isn't all that good, so I'm just wondering how I can optimize this to run some Wii games (e.g. Twilight Princess).

Thanks,

Axxer
Use "Realtemp" to check your CPU clock speed when running dolphin
Mac = no overclocking
i7 2720QM turbo :
1 core : 3.3GHz
2 cores : 3.2GHz (Dolphin use 2 cores)
3 or 4 cores : 3.0GHz

As long as you keep the CPU clock speed higher than 3.0GHz , most games will run well . If your laptop overheat , turbo boost will be disable
Your GPU should able to use 2.5x or even 3x Internal Res , no AA , 16x AF . Why did you use native 1x ?
use CoreTemp

realtemp uses a hackish method to determine core temperatures
(06-20-2012, 02:53 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Your GPU should able to use 2.5x or even 3x Internal Res , no AA , 16x AF . Why did you use native 1x ?

I was having performance issues when I put the resolution that high so I started using 1x.

I listened to what you guys said and tried using CoreTemp, but it gave me an "Unkown Error" on launch, so I used RealTemp. It definitely looks like overheating (TJ max = 100°C, the cores go up to 90+ regularly, even 99). Is there a cooling dock I could get?
Your thermal compound is dead . Remove it and apply new aftermarket thermal compound (Arctic MX-4)
Ask Apple Store - Service and Repair or someone do it for you
(06-21-2012, 02:26 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Your thermal compound is dead . Remove it and apply new aftermarket thermal compound (Arctic MX-4)
Ask Apple Store - Service and Repair or someone do it for you

How can you conclude that with such little information?

To see if you're CPU is wrong just run benchmarks and compare it to benchmarks of your CPU done by other people. For instance websites w/e.
He knows that that is the problem because the CPU is overheating.
It's not going to be cheap getting a professional to take apart the laptop and do that for you, but it's well worth it and should be done. It's definitely better to stop and get that done before the laptop burns up and becomes useless. I've been meaning to do mine for some time now, but my temps aren't nearly as high as yours.
I'll go yell at some people in the Apple store first, but I'll definitely want to fix that. Thanks guys, I'll post something if I can get the Apple "geniuses" to fix/replace something.
Shout at them enough and they will help. I have a friend who got his iPhone 4 replaced because he'd decided to deliberately scratch the screen with a knife, then told apple that the OS had been screwed up, and he'd tried resetting it blah blah blah... and eventually he got a new one.
Pages: 1 2 3