Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Should I overclock (or is there something else I can do)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(06-21-2012, 04:49 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Shout at them enough and they will help. I have a friend who got his iPhone 4 replaced because he'd decided to deliberately scratch the screen with a knife, then told apple that the OS had been screwed up, and he'd tried resetting it blah blah blah... and eventually he got a new one.

...that is amazing. Props to your friend's creativity.

On subject though, when I run StarCraft II on the Mac OS X side of things the processor temp never goes above 87 C... I guess Dolphin running Wii games is more demanding?
87 C is extremely high, even for a laptop. That's higher than the "safe zone" for most modern cpus. At 100C your cpu will automatically power off to prevent permanent damage. But in the >90C range it should start throttling its clock rates and voltages down to reduce heat, which will of course reduce performance.

Can't say I'm surprised given how common this problem is for macbooks. Their cooling system design is extremely inefficient.
(06-21-2012, 12:37 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Can't say I'm surprised given how common this problem is for macbooks. Their cooling system design is extremely inefficient.

They aren't exactly meant for gaming, but I think that mine just has it's own special problems. Most of the other people I talk to have no problem with their MacBook Pros and gaming.

I wish they had included that fancy fanning system from the Retina one earlier so maybe I wouldn't have this problem...
Quote:Most of the other people I talk to have no problem with their MacBook Pros and gaming.

And what kind of games do these "other people" play? I have trouble believing that they're not having any issues on a system using an intel IGP.

While the problem is a general/common one as I pointed out your problem is obviously an extreme case. And like AnyOldName said may be lessened if you yell loud enough at the apple geniuses.
Mostly steam games, a la Portal 1 and 2, along with some games that I can only describe as hipster and random. Some also play StarCraft II. There are also a lot of people on these forums that are doing OK with Dolphin (these people are the ones I was referring to mostly since emulation is much more CPU intensive than regular PC games).

The problem might be common, for sure, but it's not super noticeable most of the time unless the system just happens to have a really bad case of it.

I suppose I should have said "Most of the other people I talk to have no noticeable problem with their MacBook Pros and gaming."
Google "Macbook Pro Retina 2012 overheating" :
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/402...0&tstart=0
Quote:I took it back to the Apple Store and they exchanged it for a different MBP. Still gets real hot but not as bad as the other one was. Fingers crossed.
(06-14-2012, 02:39 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]MBP Retina version is much thinner than the other MBP , Apple had to redesign the cooling system . Since it's too thin , there is not much airflow .Therefore , it's not able to handle dolphin (PC gaming should be ok though)
(06-21-2012, 02:21 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Google "Macbook Pro Retina 2012 overheating" :
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/402...0&tstart=0
Quote:I took it back to the Apple Store and they exchanged it for a different MBP. Still gets real hot but not as bad as the other one was. Fingers crossed.
(06-14-2012, 02:39 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]MBP Retina version is much thinner than the other MBP , Apple had to redesign the cooling system . Since it's too thin , there is not much airflow .Therefore , it's not able to handle dolphin (PC gaming should be ok though)
Right, but if that kind of a cooling system was on a larger laptop (like mine), I was thinking it might work better.
EDIT: The first quote is nice because it shows that the Apple Store will at least be willing to comply and give me a new computer. Thanks. I'm going there tomorrow to get it checked out.

I also loved how all of the stupid people on that forum were saying that "overheating is subjective," when ANYONE would say 98C was overheating.
Macbook is good for everything except gaming
With the same budget , i would buy this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWTqzlUFOh8u
I need the MacBook Pro to program for iOS, though, so I can't really avoid it. Whatever, I'll just try to get everything working normally and live with what I get.
(06-21-2012, 02:48 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]With the same budget , i would buy this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWTqzlUFOh8u

Loving that laptop. Especially the easy access covers for cleaning the fans/cooler without having to tear apart the entire laptop.

Pages: 1 2 3