Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why is completing "Scrubbing Sirena Beach" in SMS impossible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So running version 3.0-688, I was playing Super Mario Sunshine. I went into Sirena beach to beat a shine called "Scrubbing Sirena Beach". You have to run around and clean up all the electric goo all over the place. Once you do that you get the shine. You have 3 minutes. I did that. I didnt get the shine. I inspected the whole level, and every last spec of goo had been cleaned up. Is this a bug with dolphin? and is there a fix? Anyone know anything about this??

PC Specs:
Intel Core i7 3930K 6-core OC 4.2 GHz
32GB DDR3-1600MHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970
Crucial M4 128GB SSD

Running LLE Emulation. Tried D3D9 and D3D11, and different settings. Nothing works. How do I complete that level and get the shine???
http://www.emucr.com/2012/05/dolphin-d3d...0-684.html

Use D3D11 with that build and set the DisablePixelPerf Variable in the Hacks section of your d3d11 configuration ini to False.
What is the path and file name in my dolphin folder for that ini? Also, Why D3D11? Why does it not work on D3D9? Also, does setting that to false improve or screw up anything in other games? And what percisely does setting that to False actually do? Im curious
Quote:What is the path and file name in my dolphin folder for that ini?

Dolphin folder/User/Config
(06-20-2012, 12:01 AM)Cheer Wrote: [ -> ]What is the path and file name in my dolphin folder for that ini? Also, Why D3D11? Why does it not work on D3D9? Also, does setting that to false improve or screw up anything in other games? And what percisely does setting that to False actually do? Im curious

Setting that option to False enables emulation of PE (pixel engine) pixel metrics. That allows games to query how many pixels have been drawn and how many pixels of that passed the depth test. This information is used by super mario sunshine to determine how much of the goop you've cleaned up. This only works in D3D11 atm because the emulation code is quite API specific and I simply couldn't be bothered to implement it for D3D9 and OpenGL, yet.
(In fact, I do actually have some code for OpenGL lying around already, but it doesn't really work yet)
Fwiw, once you've passed that challenge you should be able to continue using master builds again. AFAICT pixel metrics are only needed in that particular place in the game.
Anyway, setting the option to False is very unlikely to make anything worse, compatibility wise. Emulation isn't perfect, yet, so some games which heavily rely on correct behavior might have issues, but I don't know of any games having problems with it. The branch does, however, decrease performance slightly if the option is set to False. YMMV though, if you actually test this stuff out I'd be happy to hear about how much the branch is slower for you, tho Big Grin
I dont know why the speed would be different for me than anyone else. Its the same emulator. Curious: what do you mean by "the branch". And what is YMMV. I would like to test this out, and now that I know how to get that shine I will.... But im curious to learn more about the branch
Cheer Wrote:I dont know why the speed would be different for me than anyone else. Its the same emulator.
It will obviously. Your PC is much faster than his for example, therefore your performance will be much faster.

Cheer Wrote:Curious: what do you mean by "the branch"
Branches are copies of the master branch where the developers can test/add/experiment with new features without disturbing the main workflow.

Cheer Wrote:what is YMMV
Ah, that's one of neobrain's fancy acronyms. It has multiple definitions, but I think he's going with "Your mileage might vary" here.

Anyway, if you want, I can compile the branch for you if neobrain isn't already doing so.
I can test that out. You can send it to me and I could look at it after work. I attempted that shine with D3D11 which is evidently extremely CPU intensive, and LLE audio, and got high 80s/low90s% speed. You will need to show me how to use this branch thing because I have never done that before
Actually, neobrain already provided the build.
Quote:http://www.emucr.com/2012/05/dolphin-d3d...0-684.html

Use D3D11 with that build and set the DisablePixelPerf Variable in the Hacks section of your d3d11 configuration ini to False.
Just follow his instructions.
I built this rig around dolphin. I wanna push the beast past 4.2 GHz. Im scared of heat. High 70s on intel burn test at 4.2. I wonder how I can get it to 4.8 without overheating. Any ideas? Noctua NH-D14 cooler
Pages: 1 2