Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will it be fast enough? *I've read the sticky
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Currently I have a

2.7ghz Dual Core Athlon 64 x2 5200+ (can't be overclocked Undecided...)
4GB DDR2 Ram
Nvidia Geforce 8400GS 512MB
750GB HDD
180 watt PSU

I thought I could run Wii games fast and good quality... I was dead wrong. I had assumed since I could run MW2, that I could run a crappy Wii game. So I ordered a wii controller, a wireless IR receiver, and a nunchuck. So now that I wasted my money on that, I want to at least be able to use it.

I wanted Dolphin for Skyward Sword.

But I can only reach around 35FPS in game on Wii Sports, on lowest quality, and there are slow downs sometimes.

My question is... should I upgrade my PSU and Graphics card to a Nvidia GTS 250 1GB graphics card for 50$.

And will my CPU bottleneck my GPU if I do decide to buy it?
Your CPU is too slow for Skyward Sword. Time to start thinking about an entire new PC if you want to run Dolphin well.
(05-26-2012, 09:33 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Your CPU is too slow for Skyward Sword. Time to start thinking about an entire new PC if you want to run Dolphin well.

Should I sell my computer for 400$ and start all over? How many ghz of a cpu do you suggest for skyward sword?
Minimum CPU for Zelda SS : Pentium Sandy Bridge G850 @ 2.9GHZ + Z68 mobo or Phenom II @ 3.8GHZ
Recommend CPU : i3 2120 @ 3.3GHZ + Z68 mobo
You need DDR3 memory (Corsair XMS3 or Gkill DDR3) , at least 400W 80 plus certified PSU
(05-26-2012, 10:54 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Minimum CPU for Zelda SS : Pentium Sandy Bridge G850 @ 2.9GHZ + Z68 mobo or Phenom II @ 3.8GHZ
Recommend CPU : i3 2120 @ 3.3GHZ + Z68 mobo
You need DDR3 memory (Corsair XMS3 or Gkill DDR3) , at least 400W 80 plus certified PSU

Yeah, were I live Wii's cost 80$, I'll just buy a Wii xD hahaha
No HD for you then
_Intel G860 (100$)
_2x2GB Corsair XMS3 (32$)
_Cooler Master 450W 80 Plus(50$)
_ Arctic Cooling MX-4 (10$)
_ASrock Z68 Gen3 (105$)
Total Cost without graphic card , PC case and shipping cost : 297$
This setup will run Zelda SS well (not full speed though) , you have to reuse nvidia GTS 250 ofc

I'd much rather play the game at full speed on 480p on a 50$ wii.
(Just bought one on Amazon for 50$)

I've never really cared about graphics, because what I love is the game not how it looks. Even to this day I believe Ocarina of Time is the best game ever made, regardless of how bad it looks.

HD Graphics is not worth 300$. Skyward Sword was definitely worth the 50$ I spent for the wii. And I already have the game on my external hard drive which I can use on the wii to play it.

Regardless, all of the research I did about computer parts has definitely helped me choose parts for a desktop computer in the future. Alas, I say goodbye Dolphin, thank you for the replies.
(05-26-2012, 11:41 AM)omarman Wrote: [ -> ]HD Graphics is not worth 300$.

Depends on your TV/monitor:

480i/480p looks awesome (near-HD quality) on an old-school CRT TV.

But on a modern LCD TV, it looks uglier than Gruntilda's face Big Grin
Quote:On an old-school CRT TV, 480i/480p looks awesome (near-HD quality)

"So blurry you can barely tell what you're looking at" is near HD quality? CRTs can make a low resolution image look smoother which is preferable to "sharp with lots of scaling artifacts" (which is how low resolution content looks on an LCD) but they can't boost the actual image fidelity or achieve anything close to HD quality. A 600p game on an LCD is still going to look much better than a 480p game on a CRT.
(05-26-2012, 12:06 PM)kirbypuff Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-26-2012, 11:41 AM)omarman Wrote: [ -> ]HD Graphics is not worth 300$.

Depends on your TV/monitor:

On an old-school CRT TV, 480i/480p looks awesome (near-HD quality)

On a modern LCD TV, it looks uglier than Gruntilda's face Big Grin

http://s3.gamefreaks.co.nz/wp-content/up...rd-003.jpg

Does this look ugly? That's around 480p and it looks fine on my 32 inch monitor.
Pages: 1 2 3