Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: So I think i bought the wrong computer... advice for fixing it up?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
First of all, thanks to those of you who sift through these threads and offer help.

I read the requirements on the main page and in my price range Gateway computers seemed to be the best match. I recently bought a SX2370-UR30P only to find that the spec requirements in this forum are a little more demanding.

While I wait for my desktop to arrive, I'm interested in what needs to be upgraded to make it decently functional. I don't need full speed and 1080p, I just want it to reach an HD resolution and look substantially better than the wii. I'll be outputting over HDMI to my HDTV. I intend to try Skyward Sword, Windwaker, Other M, DK:R, Star Successor, Metroid Corruption, Mario Galaxy 2, and Muramasa.

Here are the specs:

Processor: AMD A6-3600 Quad-core, 2.10 GHz
Cache 4 MB
64-bit Processing
Chipset: AMD A75

Graphics Card: Radeon HD 6530D (seems to be integrated)

Standard Memory 4 GB
Maximum Memory 16 GB
Memory Technology DDR3 SDRAM
Memory Standard DDR3-1333/PC3-10600
Number of Total Memory Slots 4
16X DVD±R/RW SuperMulti Drive

Total Hard Drive Capacity 1 TB
Serial ATA/300
RPM 5400

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

If any specs pose a serious problem then I'd appreciate suggestions for what to upgrade/replace. I assume i'll have to buy a graphics card since integrated is apparently a no-no... oy.

BONUS NOOB QUESTION: I've read that it's now possible to rip game discs with a DVD drive rather than using homebrew. If anyone can link me to instructions for this it'd be great.
Quote:BONUS NOOB QUESTION: I've read that it's now possible to rip game discs with a DVD drive rather than using homebrew. If anyone can link me to instructions for this it'd be great.

Search harder next time. You need one of a few super rare models of DVD drives to do this, they're very hard to get your hands on.

You'll probably need to replace nearly the entire system. The mobo, cpu, and gpu will definitely need to be changed. The psu will probably need to be changed and you might as well change the chassis while you're at it.
Your CPU is too slow and dolphin uses 2 cores
Overclocking may help but demanding games( like Zelda SS,Metroid Other M,Mario Galaxy ....) are out of the question
so at this point would you guys recommend returning the computer rather than attempting to salvage it? I'm not sure if there are better options in the $400-500 range.
Quote:so at this point would you guys recommend returning the computer rather than attempting to salvage it?

Yes. Definitely.

Quote:I'm not sure if there are better options in the $400-500 range.

There most certainly are. Although it would be better if you tried to save up $600-700 for a high end desktop.
got it. thanks!
Build the computer yourself instead of buying OEM PC. 400-500 is possible !
Hint : Pentium Sandy Bridge G860 @ 3.0Ghz (blow away Phenom II @ 4.0Ghz ), AMD 6570 GDDR5 , Corsair XMS3 , Cooler Master PSU 80 plus , Asrock Z68 mobo , Western Digital Caviar Green
yeah, i've come to the conclusion i'd probably have to build it myself to get something functional at this price. thanks for the recommendations. i'd be willing to push up to 500 or even 600 if i could be sure it'd get dolphin running really well.

damn dolphin and it's pretty graphics, sucking people who don't know anything about computers into a cold, dangerous world....
Quote:i'd be willing to push up to 500 or even 600 if i could be sure it'd get dolphin running really well.
In that cases , switch the Pentium with i5 2500k + 500W PSU 80 Plus
thanks again, admin89. one last push and i'm out of here- this is the materials list at the moment.

MB: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 there were a few different asrock z68 boards and it wasn't clear what the differences were, this was the cheapest. not sure if it'll limit the performance of anything or not.
GPU: A GDDR5 6570 seems hard to find, one of the only matches was this mysterious listing: Radeon HD6570 2G GDDR5
there are a few DDR3 6570s from sapphire and diamond multimedia, otherwise there are these more expensive cards:
PowerColor ATI Radeon HD6750 1 GB DDR5
MSI ATI Radeon HD6670 1 GB DDR5
i can stretch the budget for either or those if they're a good fit.
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K
HD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB (not sure what role the hard drive plays or if lower capacity is alright, i don't even need 500GB)
PS: Corsair Builder Series CX V2 500-Watt 80 Plus
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4 GB i could easily double this up for 8GB for very little extra if it makes a difference
and a random case- GAMMA ATX Mid Tower

the total will be a little over $600, which again is fine as long as it will work well. a quick review of this setup to make sure it looks right would be appreciated. trying to be more cautious before buying this time Blush

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6