Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Shopping for an upgraded computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello, everyone

I'm upgrading my computer and would love to get your opinion on it. I use it primarily as an all-game machine, for playing regular PC games to emulating. Dolphin (along with PCSX2), obviously, are an integral part of it.

Please check my profile to see what I have now. I can't play much games on full speed except for Wind Waker, New Super Mario Bros Wii and others. Twilight Princess has that Hyrule Field progressive slowdown, even with the hack activated. Skyward Sword is not on 100% speed anywhere except indoors.

I'd like to know if I could play Dolphin's supported library in full speed without the need of overclocking using the following setup, right from my shopping list:

Intel Core i5 3550 (BX80637I53550), 3° gen, Clock 3.30 GHz
(or Intel Core i7 2600K, Clock 3.40GHZ)

GPU Sapphire 315L 11180-00 AMD ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB GDDR5

Motherboard Asus P8P67

RAM 8 GB

(I'm undecided between the i5 and the i7, so please shine some light under the matter as well)

Thanks!
i7 is waste of money for a gaming device
Or get the Ivy Bridge 3750k.

But will I be able to achieve full speed with the 3550? Or do I have to get the 3750? The problem is the latter is unavailable in my area.
In most games, you'll be fine. But some games, e.g. Xenolbade, Star Fox Adventures, Super Mario Galaxy 1+2, F-Zero GX etc. need an Core i5-2500k @ 4.4 Ghz/Core i5-3750k @4.0/4.1/4.2 Ghz to run at fullspeed.
xenoblades is working with stock clocks...
(05-15-2012, 12:05 AM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]xenoblades is working with stock clocks...

Working but not full speed Big Grin
Quote:Working but not full speed

That's what i said Wink (indirect Tongue)

How's the new Zelda on a setup like this? The one I'd miss most would be SMG 1+2 anyway...
Skyward Sword should run at fullspeed, afaik this is no a demanding game. (There should be really list of all demanding games Tongue)
Pages: 1 2 3