Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Getting a bargain on a new rig; can someone evaluate?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello, all

I've been offered a bargain on a better rig that I have now and I'd like your opinion on it in order to play more Gamecube and Wii games on Dolphin.

On my current setup, I remember being able to play GameCube's Twilight Princess alright except for the Hyrule Field slowdown that became greater as the game progressed. Yes, even with the fix. I was told this was a weak processor issue. Also had some trouble playing other games such as Pokémon XD, Luigi's Mansion and various Wii games. Didn't even try Skyward Sword since I have a Wii RemotePlus and I believe it's not supported by Dolphin.

Can someone please tell me if I'll be able to play most of the GameCube and Wii's libraries on full speed (given Dolphin's compatibility, of course) with these specs:

AMD FX 6100 3.3ghz 8mb
GForce GT430 2gb DDR3
8 Gb RAM

Thanks in advance for the help and excuse my lack of tech-savvyness Smile
It beats you current system, yet is not a very good buy, as AMD bulldozer isn't that good for dolphin.
Well, concerning Dolphin, an AMD Athlon beats the Faildozer :/
Wah, really? Will I at least be able to play Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword comfortably? Sad

Can you recommend an ideal processor?
If you overclock your CPU, the games should be playable i think.

Ideal CPU? Intel FTW Tongue Core i5-2500k or even better: i5-3750k.
The i5 is enough? Then the i7 would be overkill? (For Dolphin at least?)

(Just window shopping here)
Sorry man, i messed up something. An AMD Phenom beats the Faildozer, not an Athlon. LOL. anyway, the Bulldozer is not recommended at all for Dolphin.

i5-2500k or i5-3750k is enough, the i7 has HyperThreading, from which Dolphin won't benefit.
Thanks for the responses, guys.

So... With an i5 (either) and all the other specs I listed on the original post... Then, will I be alright?
Jep, with your GPU, you can play your games @ 720p (HD) and 8GB RAM are more than enough.

But an Intel CPU needs a new Motherboard. (AM3+ doesn't work Wink)
Upscaling to 720p?! That's more like it! Smile

Yes, I figured I'd have to get another motherboard, since the one that comes with this one is exactly the AM3+. Which motherboard would play nice with the i5 and PCSX2? Considering I wouldn't have to change anything else from the original specs.
Pages: 1 2 3