Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Hmm..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/sou...ail?r=3591

I was reading about some of the problems of EFB read/write not being emulated/implemented in Dolphin. It was stated that this was difficult to emulate, I presume what was meant by "difficult" was emulating it without a performance hit.

Wouldn't it make sense for anything that might have a significant performance impact, to allow it to be toggled on/off in the configuration?

This way it can be enabled only for the games that really need it instead of having a global performance impact on all games.

I would rather opt to see more accuracy in emulation than a mess of hacks being used everywhere, which I've heard started causing problems recently (Zelda: WW item hang hack/patch). Wink

Anyways keep up the great work, some groundbreaking progress has been made as of recently, and I just wanted to let the developers know that your efforts aren't going unappreciated or under-appreciated. Smile
we already have way to many hacks. adding another I think will only cause more issues. We want to move away from hacks and get emulation closer to the real hardware. then we can add in speed hacks.
(06-30-2009, 03:36 AM)Chaoscode Wrote: [ -> ]we already have way to many hacks. adding another I think will only cause more issues. We want to move away from hacks and get emulation closer to the real hardware. then we can add in speed hacks.

I think you misunderstood what I said..

I was suggesting that I would happily take accuracy over speed, and like to see development move away from using hacks as they are bound to cause issues as development progresses.

Some people may care about speed over accuracy, so allowing these some of these features that may have a dramatic impact on performance to be toggled on/off might be a better idea.

I was reading the responses on the commit that emulating read from, write to XFB would have an impact on performance thus making it difficult to emulate. I was merely suggesting that it should/could be implemented, just allow it to be toggled on/off for games that truly need it rather than forcing it on all games.

I'm not sure if this could be done, but I'd thought I would make the mention of allowing features that would have a significant impact on performance to be toggled on/off, this would make the issue of performance a bit less of an issue.

Hopefully as more powerful hardware is released, accurate emulation of these systems can be achieved without such an impact on performance. Smile
Thing is, we only know of one single effect that needs EFB read - lens flares in the Zelda games. Is it worth it? Arguably, but I haven't felt motivated enough to try to implement it.
(07-01-2009, 09:50 PM)ector Wrote: [ -> ]Thing is, we only know of one single effect that needs EFB read - lens flares in the Zelda games. Is it worth it? Arguably, but I haven't felt motivated enough to try to implement it.

So at the time there it isn't known whether or not there are other games that require this feature, and only one effect requires this feature?

If that's the case then I would have to agree that it might not be worth implementing unless someone is willing to do so. If someone wants to implement this feature then it should be a low priority concern later on after everything else is working quite decently in Dolphin including dsp emulation.