Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Unexplicable Slowdown
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am primarialy trying to run LoZ Wind Waker, but this problem actually happens with every game I play.
When I first downloaded Dolphin I couldn't run the 64-Bit, so I tried using the 32_bit version instead.
Everytime I tried playing something the gamespeed would usually hang around 75%~65%. After a while I found out the reason 64-Bit wasn't working was because I followed a link to the wrong install package. But even with the 64-Bit version, I had the very same problem.
I tried running Dolphin with the recommended configuration, I tried going for the best performance, for the best graphics, I tried with the configuration in the wiki for specific games... But the result would be always the same, if not worse.
I downloaded some revisions, but that didn't work either.
I've read on a thread something about enabling Lock Threads to Core when using i5 and i7. I checked my CPU usage with that option enabled and disabled, and in both cases it was in between 25% and 30%.
I don't think the problem is my PC not being powerful enough because it runs some heavy new PC games. And I also don't think the problem is overheating, because I have a cooler and I clean the fans frequently.

Anyway, I might be forgetting something, because I've been struggling with Dolphin for quite a long time, but I think that's it.

My system specifications:
(Laptop)

Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit
Processor/CPU: Intel Core i7 Q740
Video Card/GPU: GeForce GT 335M
Memory/RAM: 6GB
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 3.0 64-Bit
Quote:I don't think the problem is my PC not being powerful enough because it runs some heavy new PC games

Console games ARE NOT PC games. A 2.0 Ghz processor is too slow for Dolphin
Even though the CPU usage is low?
Also, I have 8 cores (though I think only 4 are physical), and it seems I'm using only 2. The others are completaly unused.
Only two cores will be used with Dolphin (another one if you use LLE for the sound)
(04-26-2012, 01:19 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Only two cores will be used with Dolphin (another one if you use LLE for the sound)

Oh, okay. I guess it's explained, then. Well, at least now I can rest in peace Big Grin
I've been trying to get Dolphin to work for more than a year.
Actually, I was just taking another look and I DO use LLE. Still, only 2 cores are being used.

If I enable DSP LLE on Thread, a third core starts being used, but the gamespeed goes down to 50%, and the sound goes out.
The "LLE on Thread" option has to be used

EDIT : yes you got it
(04-26-2012, 01:27 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]The "LLE on Thread" option has to be used

So HLE is actually better, because this way the speed is higher and I still have sound...

Is there nothing I can do short of getting a new processor?
Honestly, having my FPS above 24 is enough for me.
LLE audio is quite demanding to process. If your computer can't get 100% using HLE audio (the default, which is pretty fast) then you most likely won't get full-speed using LLE.

You can try to OC your CPU. That might help you, but watch your temps. Also, you can try an optimized build from people like Lectrode or DefenderX. 64-bit builds tend to do better than their 32-bit counterparts, but that might not help you since you didn't observe any speed increase when you used a 64-bit build.
I do get 100% speed sometimes. Mostly in menus, but now I remember playing F-Zero GX, and that game would run fine in-game (but slow at the menus)
Even in Twilight Princess I get a good speed in small maps with few stuff.

So, basically, the problem is that my processor was built with 8 slow cores, but the idea is to share the use between all of them. But Dolphin can't use all of them, so I end up with just two slow cores?
Yes with HLE you'll get higher speed but you won't get "perfect" sound. Moreover a lot of games need it to work properly but you'll need a powerful system for this. This is the deal. More power? Overclocking is the solution
Pages: 1 2