Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Unexplicable Slowdown
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just make sure, that you've go a decent CPU aftermarket cooler.

a stock cooler isn't suitable for overclocking.
I never tried overclocking before. I know how to do it, but I never tried, since I leave my laptop on for a long time, sometimes. I'm gonna look around the net on how to do it, but any advice you could give me would be apreciated Smile
(04-26-2012, 01:40 AM)Cachalote Wrote: [ -> ]I do get 100% speed sometimes. Mostly in menus, but now I remember playing F-Zero GX, and that game would run fine in-game (but slow at the menus)
Even in Twilight Princess I get a good speed in small maps with few stuff.

100% on HLE audio sometimes usually isn't good enough to consider LLE audio Big Grin. If you can always get 100% speed on HLE, you might be ready for LLE, but even that's no guarantee that LLE will perform acceptably.

(04-26-2012, 01:40 AM)Cachalote Wrote: [ -> ]So, basically, the problem is that my processor was built with 8 slow cores, but the idea is to share the use between all of them. But Dolphin can't use all of them, so I end up with just two slow cores?

Essentially, yes. Each of your cores has a low base clock, and Dolphin can at most split its processing across 3 of those (with LLE on Thread), but a lot of people usually use 2 (with the Dual Core option enabled). Dolphin can't really share the processing across all of the cores you have.
(04-26-2012, 01:51 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2012, 01:40 AM)Cachalote Wrote: [ -> ]I do get 100% speed sometimes. Mostly in menus, but now I remember playing F-Zero GX, and that game would run fine in-game (but slow at the menus)
Even in Twilight Princess I get a good speed in small maps with few stuff.

100% on HLE audio sometimes usually isn't good enough to consider LLE audio Big Grin. If you can always get 100% speed on HLE, you might be ready for LLE, but even that's no guarantee that LLE will perform acceptably.

I guess I'm just having a hard time accepting the fact that I can't run Dolphin properly without a better CPU or overclocking Big Grin
Quote:And I also don't think the problem is overheating, because I have a cooler and I clean the fans frequently.
The Q740 cannot be overclocked. And from what I've seen, runs pretty hot aswell.
It does have Turbo Boost, which iirc, should bring you up to 2.5GHz on two cores, and 2.9GHz on a single core.
These CPU clocks paired with your first-gen i7 architecture, should let you play at a much more playable speed.

You should know that Dolphin is a very CPU intensive emulator. It will put more load on your CPU than the average PC game.
And if your CPU is overheating, your CPU won't Turbo Boost.

I recommend you to download Realtemp, and monitor your CPU temperatures while you're playing a game.
Make sure you play for about 30 mins unless your CPU starts reaching 90degrees celsius.
Hello,

Even with a better processor, you'll need the overclock. I'll recommend to get a new CPU in a future, and the basics of overclock, with this will be easy to get Full Speed in every game you want.

Note: Some games may not work properly.

(04-26-2012, 01:40 AM)Cachalote Wrote: [ -> ]So, basically, the problem is that my processor was built with 8 slow cores, but the idea is to share the use between all of them. But Dolphin can't use all of them, so I end up with just two slow cores?

Wrong , only Intel Xeon series have 8 cores . Mobile CPU limit to 4 cores max
i7 740qm : 4 cores 8 threads

You should look up this thread. It may have some info you need
Pages: 1 2