Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Recording fullspeed footage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to record a game which I can't get running quite at full speed (it's usually around 50, and recording with fraps pushes it even further down). I was thinking I could instead force the game emulator to run at 30 or 15 fps, record at that fps, and then speed up the final footage to make it fullspeed. I know the sound will get completely messed up this way, but that's not important for me.

First I tried to get fraps to record a specific framerate which automatically also limits the framerate of whatever program I'm recording. This didn't work out at all since the framerate seemed to become extremely erratic.

Then I tried to use the emulator's ability to limit the framerate and then record at that framerate. I decided to record at 15 frames per second and I limited dolphin to the same setting. After recording, I sped up the final footage by 400%, but the footage became WAY too fast that way. I'm not sure what went wrong.

Does anyone have any tips to get this working properly?
I've recorded ZSS footage using the "dump frames" options located in the graphics-advanced tab, after that I got a ultra speed video.

Once you have recorded the video, convert it using Virtual Dub or your preferred video conversor, limit the frame rate to 30 in the conversion options, and then you get a normal speed video.

Here is an example.

Uh, OP, SS runs at 30 fps not 60. You should have only increased the speed of the 15 fps recording by 200%.
(03-04-2012, 03:32 AM)esppiral Wrote: [ -> ]I've recorded ZSS footage using the "dump frames" options located in the graphics-advanced tab, after that I got a ultra speed video.

Once you have recorded the video, convert it using Virtual Dub or your preferred video conversor, limit the frame rate to 30 in the conversion options, and then you get a normal speed video.

Here is an example.
I'll try that, thanks. If it does dump every unique frame, that should work.

(03-04-2012, 04:12 AM)HawaiianPunch Wrote: [ -> ]Uh, OP, SS runs at 30 fps not 60. You should have only increased the speed of the 15 fps recording by 200%.
SS? I'm not sure what game you're talking about, but the game I'm trying to record is Soul Calibur 2.

(03-04-2012, 05:05 AM)Sectus Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2012, 04:12 AM)HawaiianPunch Wrote: [ -> ]Uh, OP, SS runs at 30 fps not 60. You should have only increased the speed of the 15 fps recording by 200%.
SS? I'm not sure what game you're talking about, but the game I'm trying to record is Soul Calibur 2.

The game shown in the video (above) is Skyward Sword, the recent Zelda game on Wii. HawaiianPunch must've gotten you confused with the one who posted that video.