Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why do some games run in slo-mo?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi!

I have a few questions about Dolphin. I am a new user, but used to other emulators.

My system:
Intel i7 @ 2.66 ghz
18 gb ram
GTX 295 (1792 mb) graphics.

I think it´s a decent system.
I can run WindWaker in full HD on my TV without any slowdowns at all. Perfectly!

But when I try to run Star Fox Adventures, I get a lot of slowdowns.
Cutscenes is totally slow motion and partially the game too, when I run around.

Also when I play Eternal Darkness, I get occasional slowdowns, especially in the sound that sort of "hiccups" when I am in fights. Overall the graphics floats very well.

But my question is about those occasional slowdowns that I seem to run into.

I am running dolphin 3.0.
I have fiddled around with sound-plugins (DSP LLE and also HLE).

But this seems to not fix my problems.
Is it so that my processor might be bottlenecking me?

Thanks for your answers.

Quote:I can run WindWaker in full HD on my TV without any slowdowns at all. Perfectly!

But when I try to run Star Fox Adventures, I get a lot of slowdowns.
Cutscenes is totally slow motion and partially the game too, when I run around.

Also when I play Eternal Darkness, I get occasional slowdowns, especially in the sound that sort of "hiccups" when I am in fights. Overall the graphics floats very well.

Star fox adventures and eternal darkness are far more demanding games than wind waker.

Quote:Is it so that my processor might be bottlenecking me?

Yes.
Actually Eternal Darkness is not that bad. I can run the game full speed at 2.3GHz on this laptop and his processor is better than this. He must have other issues, probably settings related.
In other words post your settings silmes (screenshot).

Star fox is definitely too demanding though, even overclocked 2500K setups don't get fullspeed all the time in that game.
(02-15-2012, 06:11 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]In other words post your settings silmes (screenshot).

Star fox is definitely too demanding though, even overclocked 2500K setups don't get fullspeed all the time in that game.

Alas, my network device for my stationary computer (wich I use as a gaming only device, hooked up to my TV) has decided to lay off, so I can´t get any screenshots at least tonight. =/

Thank you very much for your input.
I had my thoughts about my processor being the culprit, at least in Star Fox.

I guess you could say Eternal Darkness runs in full speed on my rig too.

It´s only now and then a little hiccup in the sound, especially when there are things going on, like in a fight or so. It kinda hiccs up and "hrrrrr", for a second, and then continues to run normally and in full speed again.
(02-15-2012, 05:27 AM)silmes Wrote: [ -> ]My system:
Intel i7 @ 2.66 ghz
18 mb ram

Upgrade your ram.
(02-15-2012, 07:03 AM)Parlane Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-15-2012, 05:27 AM)silmes Wrote: [ -> ]My system:
Intel i7 @ 2.66 ghz
18 mb ram

Upgrade your ram.

Whatever that number might be, it definitely doesn't mean 18 MB of RAM ;D
(02-15-2012, 06:11 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Star fox is definitely too demanding though, even overclocked 2500K setups don't get fullspeed all the time in that game.

Adventure, assault or both?
Adventure, but I do think a 2500k would run it full speed.
(02-15-2012, 07:23 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Adventure, but I do think a 2500k would run it full speed.

k, that's what I thought, because I can run assault fullspeed with LLE Big Grin
Pages: 1 2