Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why do some games run in slo-mo?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:Adventure, but I do think a 2500k would run it full speed.

Most of the game yes. But just like TP star fox adventures has some big areas that run really really slow on pretty much any hardware (even slower than hyrule field).
Eh, I have 18 gb ram memory @ 1333 mhz, at least my Windows and my BIOS says so...
(3 x 2 gb sticks + 3 x 4 gb sticks = 18 gb ram

Why should´t this be possible? My computer is a monster when it comes to gaming.
I can play Skyrim on ultra and full settings, wich isn´t too bad, considering I bought the computer 2,5 years ago.
It's actually GB, not MB. That's what they're giving you a hard time about.

Edit: Now I see you edited to change MB to GB.
(02-15-2012, 02:51 PM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]It's actually GB, not MB. That's what they're giving you a hard time about.

Edit: Now I see you edited to change MB to GB.

I just found my mistake and I just couldn´t stop laughing about it.
So, yeah, it should be 18 gb of ram ofc. Big Grin

(edited my posts)
(02-15-2012, 02:43 PM)silmes Wrote: [ -> ]Eh, I have 18 gb ram memory @ 1333 mhz, at least my Windows and my BIOS says so...

Why should´t this be possible? My computer is a monster when it comes to gaming.
I can play Skyrim on ultra and full settings, wich isn´t too bad, considering I bought the computer 2,5 years ago.

Ram won't affect performance at all unless you run so many programs at the same time . 4Gb Ram is more than enough for dolphin

PC gaming != Emulation
PC gaming -> GPU power
Emulation -> CPU power

Your CPU no matter how strong it is , 2.6Ghz is not enough since dolphin only use 2 core anyway .

Overclocking will help but you need an aftermarket cooler , decent PSU ...
(02-15-2012, 05:37 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-15-2012, 02:43 PM)silmes Wrote: [ -> ]Eh, I have 18 gb ram memory @ 1333 mhz, at least my Windows and my BIOS says so...

Ram won't affect performance at all unless you run so many programs at the same time . 4Gb Ram is more than enough for dolphin

PC gaming != Emulation
PC gaming -> GPU power
Emulation -> CPU power

Your CPU no matter how strong it is , 2.6Ghz is not enough since dolphin only use 2 core anyway .

Overclocking will help but you need an aftermarket cooler , decent PSU ...

What I meant wasn´t possible was my computer having 18 gb(!) of ram. I did not ask how running dolphin on it wasn´t possible. Anyway...

I understand the physics of emulation and the fact that an i7 2.66 seems to be a little weak.

I´m happy with Wind Waker and Eternal Darkness running on my PC instead of my GC now! =)
Quote: physics of emulation

What? I wasn't aware we were doing any physics calculations with dolphin.

Now on to a more serious note. To answer your question a bit better a PC game runs code naively in a hardware environment. But if we are trying to run software (GC/Wii game) that our hardware environment (x86 PC) is not properly configured to run then the program will fail to to produce its intended logic. As a result we have to create a software environment that virtualizes all of the resources that the softwares native hardware environment has. We do this by creating layers of abstraction underneath a parser to read the source code. That way instead of using native hardware the software (GC/Wii game) will interact with your virtual resources that we created in our software environment (dolphin), which behave the same way and will produce the same result as the real hardware, thus allowing the software (GC/Wii game) to produce the the same logic it would produce on the real hardware. This layer of software needed to virtualize everything sits between our OS and the game and adds an enormous amount of overhead. When dealing with virtual software resources instead of real hardware resources everything the game does demands an enormous amount of processing power compared to what it should normally take without this layer of virtualization management to produce the same logic. Because PC games do not need to have this layer of software inbetween the application and the OS they typically require far less CPU throughput to produce similar logic. That is why your PC games run so much better despite having far more complex logic. I know I repeated myself a bit there, I do that sometimes.
Pages: 1 2