Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD Phenom X4 9850
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I plan on buying this for 50 bucks.

Phenom X4 9850 processor.

Operating speed: Up to 2.5 GHz
Number of cores: 4
Socket: AM2+
Bus speed: 3600 MHz HT3

Being that it's quad core, that should definately raise the speed and play at full speed for many games, wouldn't it? My current processor is AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 2.4 Ghz.

So will Dolphin run at at least 50 frames with the new processor?
(02-14-2012, 11:51 AM)tysonrss Wrote: [ -> ]Being that it's quad core, that should definately raise the speed and play at full speed for many games, wouldn't it?

I lol'd Big Grin, dolphin only uses 2 cores.

It will help, but very little
That's literally gay. Why the hell wouldn't it help? Furthermore, why wouldn't a dual core be able to handle a gamecube emulator anyway? I barely get 25 fps with this damn thing. It's preposterous.
Nope , still far from full speed
Dolphin only need 2 cores + high clock speed CPU (above 3Ghz ) , 2 core for background process will give 10-15% in performance
The Phenom will run faster clock per clock but 2.5Ghz is not enough
Your GPU is too weak for dolphin even at lowest setting -> Buy a new graphic card
With the graphics, eerything looks just fine, so I don't see the problem.

As for Dolphin and even PCSX2, I gathered that 3.0 GHz is required.

Why is this? Why do these emulators need a lot more power than the original consoles to play? It's absurd.
1st gen phenoms are only 15% faster in single threaded performance per clock, so you can expect maybe a 25% speedup at the most. It's not worth the money.

Quote:That's literally gay. Why the hell wouldn't it help? Furthermore, why wouldn't a dual core be able to handle a gamecube emulator anyway? I barely get 25 fps with this damn thing. It's preposterous.

Looks like someone needs to spend more time with emulators and understand why they tend to be very demanding.

Number of cores doesn't matter so much if the application logic is not very efficient for multithreading (if it's even multithreaded at all). And emulation tends to be highly serial by nature.

Quote:Why is this? Why do these emulators need a lot more power than the original consoles to play? It's absurd.

Because it's not a console, it's an emulator. It's not hardware, it's software.
Yup ! Emulation requires more CPU power than PC games
And Wii hardware is much more powerful than PS2 hardware
Wii :
+CPU : IBM - Broadway - 90nm @ 720Mhz
+GPU : ATI "Hollywood"
PS2 :
+CPU : @ 299 MHZ
+GPU : Graphics Synthesize @ 147Mhz
Well I'm not gonna buy that new processor if all I get is a 15% speed boost.

What is the recommended GHz speed? Not minimal...recommended.

@admin: Yeah the PS2 emualtor runs slightly better than Dolphin.
Architecture is more important than clock rate. Intel sandy bridge chips run dolphin the best out of any microarchitecture at the moment.

Quote:Wii :
+CPU : IBM - Broadway - 90nm @ 720Mhz
+GPU : ATI "Hollywood"
PS2 :
+CPU : @ 299 MHZ
+GPU : Graphics Synthesize @ 147Mhz

tisk tisk tisk. You should know better than to compare systems by clock rates alone.
That would require me to get a new motherboard, it's totally not worth the hassle and the money.
Pages: 1 2