Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: WiiWare Nintendo 64 Zelda: Ocarina
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone got this game to run smoothly yet? I want to use it because it looks amazing on Dolphin and it has Gecko codes support. AR codes are just not cutting it. Lemme know ok? I have gotten up to the Deku Tree it runs, but not smoothly.
Well since your emulating an emulator... (I think XD)
Why not just play it on an N64 emulator? There's no reason not to, and it will definitely go a whole lot smoother. Saying, "it looks amazing on Dolphin" isn't a very good reason by itself. N64 emulators like Mupen64plus and Project64 allow you to play games at HD resolutions with anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, just like Dolphin. Personally though, I find that anti-aliasing isn't much needed at 720p and beyond when it comes to N64 games; they look pretty good at that resolution. Both emulators support cheats through GameShark codes too.
(02-13-2012, 01:12 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Why not just play it on an N64 emulator? There's no reason not to, and it will definitely go a whole lot smoother. Saying, "it looks amazing on Dolphin" isn't a very good reason by itself. N64 emulators like Mupen64plus and Project64 allow you to play games at HD resolutions with anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, just like Dolphin. Personally though, I find that anti-aliasing isn't much needed at 720p and beyond when it comes to N64 games; they look pretty good at that resolution. Both emulators support cheats through GameShark codes too.
Dolphin is much better. I hate N64 emulators with a passion and getting shaders to work in them is a pain.

I can get it smooth using my masterquest or collector's edition discs. I just want the GECKO code support.

Thnx for replying!
(02-13-2012, 02:32 PM)chos Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin is much better. I hate N64 emulators with a passion and getting shaders to work in them is a pain.

You do realize that all Nintendo did was essentially make an N64 emulator that could play on the Wii, right? The Virtual Console version of OOT runs as an emulation of the original, so your statement doesn't make much sense if you want to play this game on Dolphin.
(02-13-2012, 02:59 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-13-2012, 02:32 PM)chos Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin is much better. I hate N64 emulators with a passion and getting shaders to work in them is a pain.

You do realize that all Nintendo did was essentially make an N64 emulator that could play on the Wii, right? The Virtual Console version of OOT runs as an emulation of the original, so your statement doesn't make much sense if you want to play this game on Dolphin.

Geez im not retarded. I know very well that it is an emulator. A very good one because it is made by NINTENDO. Which in turn had to be rebuilt into Dolphin if i'm not mistaken.

Im sure im not the only person that dislikes N64 emulators. So please give me a break. If you saw the possibilities that is see of running N64 games in Dolphin I think it would be alot different for you.

It seems noone has even pondered the fact of running all of your NINTENDO games on Dolphin. Which would basically be the best thing in life.

Thanks as always.
(02-13-2012, 03:57 PM)chos Wrote: [ -> ]Geez im not retarded. I know very well that it is an emulator. A very good one because it is made by NINTENDO. Which in turn had to be rebuilt into Dolphin if i'm not mistaken.

It's a matter of accuracy. The thing is, you keep saying you dislike N64 emulators, but that's exactly what Dolphin is when you're playing OoT. It'd be better to say that you dislike specific emulators. The category of N64 emulators covers both Virtual Console and programs like Project 64.

Quote:Im sure im not the only person that dislikes N64 emulators. So please give me a break. If you saw the possibilities that is see of running N64 games in Dolphin I think it would be alot different for you.

I could see these possibilities if you cared to share them. As far as I can tell, the only distinct technical advantages would be AR/GECKO codes and post-processing effects. Like I said, I can still use GS codes with other programs if I need to cheat. Some GECKO codes are really fancy (saw one for teleportation for OoT), but the differences in cheat codes isn't much of a deal breaker, personally. Dolphin's post-processing effects have always seemed more novelty than enhancement to me. The only notable ones I liked were the 16 and 32-bit ones. Aside from those, I have no idea how running N64 games on Dolphin is particularly different from an N64 emulator.

Quote:It seems noone has even pondered the fact of running all of your NINTENDO games on Dolphin. Which would basically be the best thing in life.

Technically speaking, it wouldn't be all of the Nintendo games, just the GCN/Wii games that work in Dolphin, and all the WiiWare and Virtual Console games Nintendo decided were okay to release. There's still some Nintendo games that aren't on VC yet, like Pokemon Stadium. That's not even counting the handheld games that can't be played.

Personally, I wouldn't want Dolphin to be my all-in-one emulator. Why run Dolphin as an emulator within an emulator when I've got other programs that do the job just fine, and at a lesser cost to my hardware? It's simply unnecessary to run Dolphin just to play OoT or any other Virtual Console game, especially when the only clear advantage for me would be having all my games run by the same program.
(02-13-2012, 04:35 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-13-2012, 03:57 PM)chos Wrote: [ -> ]Geez im not retarded. I know very well that it is an emulator. A very good one because it is made by NINTENDO. Which in turn had to be rebuilt into Dolphin if i'm not mistaken.

It's a matter of accuracy. The thing is, you keep saying you dislike N64 emulators, but that's exactly what Dolphin is when you're playing OoT. It'd be better to say that you dislike specific emulators. The category of N64 emulators covers both Virtual Console and programs like Project 64.

Quote:Im sure im not the only person that dislikes N64 emulators. So please give me a break. If you saw the possibilities that is see of running N64 games in Dolphin I think it would be alot different for you.

I could see these possibilities if you cared to share them. As far as I can tell, the only distinct technical advantages would be AR/GECKO codes and post-processing effects. Like I said, I can still use GS codes with other programs if I need to cheat. Some GECKO codes are really fancy (saw one for teleportation for OoT), but the differences in cheat codes isn't much of a deal breaker, personally. Dolphin's post-processing effects have always seemed more novelty than enhancement to me. The only notable ones I liked were the 16 and 32-bit ones. Aside from those, I have no idea how running N64 games on Dolphin is particularly different from an N64 emulator.

Quote:It seems noone has even pondered the fact of running all of your NINTENDO games on Dolphin. Which would basically be the best thing in life.

Technically speaking, it wouldn't be all of the Nintendo games, just the GCN/Wii games that work in Dolphin, and all the WiiWare and Virtual Console games Nintendo decided were okay to release. There's still some Nintendo games that aren't on VC yet, like Pokemon Stadium. That's not even counting the handheld games that can't be played.

Personally, I wouldn't want Dolphin to be my all-in-one emulator. Why run Dolphin as an emulator within an emulator when I've got other programs that do the job just fine, and at a lesser cost to my hardware? It's simply unnecessary to run Dolphin just to play OoT or any other Virtual Console game, especially when the only clear advantage for me would be having all my games run by the same program.

Its like im at the Playstation forums arguing about backwards compatibility all over again. You people will just never understand why we want to run everything on one emulator/machine.

Fine, everybody has their own opinions but basically what shonumi is saying is why play the game on dolphin with your processor usage at 100% when you can play it on project64 with your cpu usage below 50% with almost the same gameplay, it's all about hardware economization
... this thread is useless
its like the discussion of playing master quest in dolphin or on an n64 emulator..
hey dude i know you likes dogs
so here is dog...
your dog in the doggy dog
Pages: 1 2