Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Super Mario Bros FPS on my PC. Help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

chamanx

Hello everyone,

This is my 1st message on this forum, and i apologize in advance for my english.
I've been reading many posts to find out why i don't have 60 fps on New super mario bros.

My specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2,7 Ghz
4 GB of ram
Geforce GT 440 1 GB
Windows 7 32 bit

With this computer i have around 45-50 fps with dolphin properly configured, and i thought maybe it's because i have to install a 64 bit version of windows (i'll try today).

Anyway i'd like to know if my fps are normal or not...

Thank you in advance.

From what I've seen, that's about what you should be getting. Though I know a few others who have reached fullspeed (temporarily) with less. Your GPU looks fine, so it's probably your CPU that's not letting you hit full speed. If you could OC it a bit more that might help. A 64bit version of Windows might help with a few extra FPS too. What settings are you using and which version of Dolphin are you playing? To tell you the truth, your CPU is old, but I guess you could push it.

chamanx

Helo,

I just followed the steps given on this site to improve performance (disable fog and those settings). Didn't do anything special.

http://www.dolphin-emu.org/performance.html

Besides, i thought that a 2.0 MHZ processor is the recommended, and i have a 2.7. I have a laptop at work with an intel core i5 2.6Ghz and Nvidia quadro 1000m. On this laptop the same game goes too fast, and i have to use the frame limit... I don't understand...
By the way, i thought about OC but i've never done that, and i would need help. I don't want to break anything...
It's not just about clock speed. It's also about what architecture your CPU uses. If that Intel Core i5 is a Sandy Bridge chip, it's not going to have a hard time running Dolphin. Sandy Bridge chips have higher Instructions Per Cycle (IPCs), meaning they can execute more instructions during each CPU cycle than older chips. Two chips could run at the same clock speed, but if one can process more instructions each cycle, that one will be faster. Like I said, your CPU is old; it was released in late 2006. Both AMD and Intel have improved their architectures since then.

Anyway, have you checked the New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Dolphin Wiki? You might find some more helpful info about settings, especially since the link you posted is kinda outdated.

Giving your CPU an OC might be the only way in some cases. There's currently some interesting discussions going on here. Check out NaturalViolence's post on page 3, it's pretty detailed.

chamanx

Ok i'll check that, and post the results when i try newer versions of the emulator with my win 7 64 bit.

Thanks!
Quote:Sandy Bridge chips have higher Instructions Per Cycle (IPCs), meaning they can execute more instructions during each CPU cycle than older chips.

Most instructions take multiple clock cycles to process. Therefore the number of instructions per cycle is always <0 on average. A more accurate way to say what you were trying to say would be something like "meaning they take less clock cycles to execute each instruction compared to older chips".

chamanx

Hello again,

I wanted to share my experience with you, and as i said, i installed windows 7 64 bits edition, and tried dolphin 64 bit with new super mario bros.
Before it ran at 45 fps and now i can play at constant 60 fps, sometimes 61 or 62, so in my case, 64 bits helped a lot, now i have 15 more fps, so, at least for this game, it's enough.

how do you get fullspeed? I get only 45 fps on PAL edition and I have mine set on DX9 with all hacks off and dual core on.
Hmmmmmmm, maybe my GPU is the bottleneck
No no c'mon, this game ran at 100% on my old 2.2GHz Dual Core. And it only had a shitty GeForce 9500 GT XFX edition (Which seemed good at the time, but turned out that card can't process shadow effects in any game without cutting the framerate in half)
He has an integrated gpu, a radeon HD3000 integrated to be exact. Your 9500 GT is an order of magnitude faster than his gpu.
Pages: 1 2