Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Super Mario Bros FPS on my PC. Help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(01-25-2012, 05:32 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]He has an integrated gpu, a radeon HD3000 integrated to be exact. Your 9500 GT is an order of magnitude faster than his gpu.
LOL, I guess I should have read that post and his sig a bit more carefully.
Eiher way, that 9500 GT is shit. I wasted 90$ on that crap, back when it was the high end. And even then it couldn't run doom 3 on ultra settings. what a ripoff.
I'm glad nvidia has been much better with their cards lately.

Quote:Eiher way, that 9500 GT is shit. I wasted 90$ on that crap, back when it was the high end.

It was never high end. It was introduced as a low end card back in 2008. At that time a 9600 GSO, 9600 GT, and 9800 GT were considered medium end cards. The 9800 GTX+, 9800 GX2, GTX 260, and GTX 280 were considered high end cards.

Quote:I'm glad nvidia has been much better with their cards lately.

.....can't tell if serious.
(01-25-2012, 09:51 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Eiher way, that 9500 GT is shit. I wasted 90$ on that crap, back when it was the high end.

It was never high end. It was introduced as a low end card back in 2008. At that time a 9600 GSO, 9600 GT, and 9800 GT were considered medium end cards. The 9800 GTX+, 9800 GX2, GTX 260, and GTX 280 were considered high end cards.

1. It is high end when you can't afford anything better. Though I didn't know anything about PC components back then.
2. Very serious. I dislike AMD, always have hated their lack of innovation.

AMD has never made any original processors, anything (even the first 64 bit processor) was first invented by Intel.

Their latest processors, especially that 12core Bulldozer, has so many issues that it's not even funny.

Face it, AMD is going downhill on the CPU side.
If they didn't buy ATI, they would have no future.

(01-25-2012, 10:14 AM)Bludger Wrote: [ -> ]2. Very serious. I dislike AMD, always have hated their lack of innovation.

or alternatively

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
(01-25-2012, 10:25 AM)StupidStories Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-25-2012, 10:14 AM)Bludger Wrote: [ -> ]2. Very serious. I dislike AMD, always have hated their lack of innovation.

or alternatively

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

You know that Intel was the first to develop 64bit processors right?
You know that Intel was the first to develop dual core processors right?
Nuff' said.
Quote:1. It is high end when you can't afford anything better.

That's not the definition of the term "high end". High end has nothing to do with what you can afford.

Quote:AMD has never made any original processors, anything (even the first 64 bit processor) was first invented by Intel.

WTF!?!?!?

That makes no sense. You're just talking out of your ass.
Intel didn't invent the K5, K6, K7, K8, K10, K11, K12, or K15 architectures. All of AMDs microarchitectures are unique and totally different from intels. The only thing they share in common is the instruction set architecture.

Quote:Their latest processors, especially that 12core Bulldozer, has so many issues that it's not even funny.

That has nothing to do with your point about innovation. Bulldozer in particular shows extreme levels of innovation with CMT threading and decoupled branch prediction.

Quote:Face it, AMD is going downhill on the CPU side.
If they didn't buy ATI, they would have no future.

Although I agree that they are going downhill this has nothing to with innovation. If they had chosen not to be innovative with bulldozer that would have actually produced a better cpu. Instead they tried a different approach and failed.

Quote:You know that Intel was the first to develop 64bit processors right?
You know that Intel was the first to develop dual core processors right?
Nuff' said.

What does that have to do with anything?

By that logic Intel is also lacking innovation because both of those were done by many other major competitors long before intel.

Let's look at a quick rundown of the history of popular or semi-popular 64 bit microprocessor architectures from all of the major cpu companies.

MIPS came out with their first 64 bit microprocessor lineup in 1991. It didn't sell that well because nobody needed a 64 bit microprocessor at the time, so nobody cared. All MIPS processors since then have been 64 bit.
DEC Alpha came out in 1992. Another semi-popular line of 64 bit microprocessors. All DEC alpha processors since then have been 64 bit.
Sun came out with a line of 64 bit SPARC microprocessors in 1995 (the ultrasparc). All sparc processors since then have been 64 bit.
IBM came out with 64 bit powerPC microprocessors in 1995 (the A10 and the A30). All high end power and powerpc chips since then have been 64 bit.
HP came out with 64 bit PA-RISC microprocessors in 1996. All PA-RISC chips since then have been 64 bit.
Intel finally comes out with its 64 bit itanium chips in 2001, 10 years after MIPS. They failed miserably in sales.
AMD comes out with opteron (server) and athlon 64 (desktop) in 2003. These are the first 64 bit x86 chips. They sell extremely well.
Intel clones the AMD64 (also called x86-64 or x64) and produces presscot, and inferior 64 bit x86 implementation. Yup, you heard right. They copied AMDs instruction set and have to pay licensing/royalty fees to AMD every year to continue using it. They even admit to it.

And don't even get me started on multicore architectures. Intel was very late to the party with that as well. And AMD was the first to produce a dual core x86 die.

Even if neither of these points were true and intel had invented the idea of multicore microprocessors, 64 bit microprocessors, and created the first x86 multicore and 64 bit microprocessors it still wouldn't matter. None of these things have anything to do with innovation! Implementation matters. Just because I make a car that goes 120mph doesn't mean that that if you make a car that goes 120mph you copied me.

Now back to the original topic of GPUs:
Quote:

What I meant by that is the fact that nvidias low end gpus have been garbage compared to amd over the last few years. So saying "I'm glad nvidia has been much better with their cards lately." makes no sense. If you look at the <$100 card they have far less performance per dollar, performance per watt, and a severe lack of useful features compared to the competition. And they haven't been selling well either.
Well Phenom II CPU line performs quite well when compared to Intel CPUs of same generation. And Phenom II CPU + mobo is usually costs a lot less than Intel. Bulldozer is just AMD's NetBurst, and Intel made good CPUs after those stupid Pentium4 toasters. I'm sure that AMD will show something much better later.
For AMD GPUs well... my opinion is a bit different. Bad ATi legacy it is. Drivers suck badly, AMD linux drivers are one big glitch. Windows - just a bit better but still many games which worked fine on way too old GF6600 failed on 5 years newer radeon.
Pages: 1 2