Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why do some games stutter?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The games I play like Brawl run around 50-60 FPS with two people, 40-50 with four...but, it stutters for about 0.2 seconds sometimes--is there a reason why this happens? I'm okay if it is not fixable, through this year I'm saving to build a new computer if it's my specs.

Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz
Mainboard = DELL 0G679R
3 GB DDR2 800 memory
Radeon HD 5550
Lack computing of power :3
Lack of processing power shouldn't cause stuttering, just poor performance.

Any number of things could cause stuttering, just a few that I can think of off the top of my head:
1. The shadercache
2. The JIT cache
3. FIFO
4. Audio throttling
5. Output refresh rate not properly synced with the game
6. Normal microstuttering

Try turning on vsync. What kind of display are you using?
LM760 monitor at 1280x1024
Also, Kirby Return To Dreamland and Rayman Origins run perfect with no stutters (Rayman has an audio repeat prob though)

Is SSBB just harder on the processor?
What do you mean by "harder to process"? If your framerate is lower that shouldn't affect suttering.
Then what IS causing stuttering? Mind you, it's not major, so I can deal with it, but I would be intrigued in knowing why, exactly. It's just a bit of microstuttering at times.
If someone really knew, they wouldn't need to explain it, they would probably just fix it.
my RE DSC used to stutter too (massive fps drop).
my system is pretty high end.
changing settings didn't seem to help.
i finally got rid of it by setting the nvidia 3d profile of dolphin.exe as low as possible.
never used Radeon so i don't know if there is anything similar.
Quote:i finally got rid of it by setting the nvidia 3d profile of dolphin.exe as low as possible.
never used Radeon so i don't know if there is anything similar.

That makes no sense.

Quote:Then what IS causing stuttering? Mind you, it's not major, so I can deal with it, but I would be intrigued in knowing why, exactly. It's just a bit of microstuttering at times.
Quote:Any number of things could cause stuttering, just a few that I can think of off the top of my head:
1. The shadercache
2. The JIT cache
3. FIFO
4. Audio throttling
5. Output refresh rate not properly synced with the game
6. Normal microstuttering

Go through that list and start eliminating any possibilities. Do you have v-sync on?

I wonder of catalyst control panel has an equivalent of the max prerendered frames option that nvidias control panel has, that could cause something like this as well.
Quote:I wonder of catalyst control panel has an equivalent of the max prerendered frames option that nvidias control panel has
No, the Catalyst Control Center doesn't have such an option.

The driver is set to 3 frames rendered ahead by default. You can change this by using a third-party application called RadeonPro.

In RadeonPro the option is called 'Flip Queue Size'.

OP could try raising the value to reduce the stuttering. But it may introduce mouse lag. While lowering the value can cause stuttering but reduces mouse lag.
Pages: 1 2 3 4