Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Speedup on Very Old PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a very old PC that I just upgraded. It had a very slow OEM graphics card (GeForce 4 Ti 4200 w/ AGP 8x) that used SDRAM instead of DDR and had half the texture units disabled. Sad Now I have a GeForce 7300 GT w/ 4 extra texture units. My other specs can be found in my profile. I've found playing SSBM to be a very unpleasant experience, getting around 9 fps. I've turned off or disabled everything I can, to no avail. Is there anything I can do to get at least 16 fps, or better, 24?
(01-03-2012, 08:09 AM)kory.l.hansen Wrote: [ -> ]I have a very old PC that I just upgraded. It had a very slow OEM graphics card (GeForce 4 Ti 4200 w/ AGP 8x) that used SDRAM instead of DDR and had half the texture units disabled. Sad Now I have a GeForce 7300 GT w/ 4 extra texture units. My other specs can be found in my profile. I've found playing SSBM to be a very unpleasant experience, getting around 9 fps. I've turned off or disabled everything I can, to no avail. Is there anything I can do to get at least 16 fps, or better, 24?

In short, no.

The long explanation:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

That graphics card is absolutely pathetic.
Besides, Dolphin runs off of CPU primarily.

Just build a new PC.
Even bulldozer would be a massive improvement over a Pentium 4.
Trust me, I used to own a similar one.
no, your cpu is just to slow for emulation...
every amd Build (max. 2-3year old cpu's) would be an improvment Sad
(01-03-2012, 08:32 AM)werewolfyman Wrote: [ -> ]That graphics card is absolutely pathetic.

Are you referring to the old graphics card, or the new? And is there any way I'll be able to get even 12 fps if I wait for further development/optimizations?
Both of the graphics cards are extremely weak, and no, you won't be able to get more FPS even if you wait for further development; your graphics card and CPU are just too weak to handle Dolphin. If anything, upgrade your CPU first, then your GPU.
You can get some really slow speeds, but why bother? I can shuffle through pictures of the game faster than that. Do yourself a favor and get a decent PC, you're not going to get any enjoyment running games that slow. Any Dolphin improvement is not going to help you at all.
(01-03-2012, 01:02 PM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]You can get some really slow speeds, but why bother? I can shuffle through pictures of the game faster than that. Do yourself a favor and get a decent PC, you're not going to get any enjoyment running games that slow. Any Dolphin improvement is not going to help you at all.

If you're in a truly tight pinch, there's this generic build:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundl...mbo.752616
Just add an OS, HDD and video card.
Still, I'd personally recommend you lay out a budget and report back.
Or just buy a sandy bridge PC.

I take it you want a cost effective, low-power build you won't have to overclock?

Just name the price and I'll work on it.
(01-03-2012, 01:58 PM)werewolfyman Wrote: [ -> ]If you're in a truly tight pinch, there's this generic build:

I take it you want a cost effective, low-power build you won't have to overclock?

My budget right now is a whopping $0, so I'll just have to take what I've got. Thank you all for the input!
(01-03-2012, 02:25 PM)kory.l.hansen Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-03-2012, 01:58 PM)werewolfyman Wrote: [ -> ]If you're in a truly tight pinch, there's this generic build:

My budget right now is a whopping $0, so I'll just have to take what I've got. Thank you all for the input!

PM me if that ever changes, mkay?
Will do!
Pages: 1 2