Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What should I upgrade for Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

My computer runs reasonably well in Dolphin but I experience FPS drops often, at low settings. I want to upgrade a component in my PC to be able to run Dolphin better. My question is which part of my computer is limiting my performance with Dolphin? Should I upgrade my CPU, GPU, or something else? Here are my specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz
6GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5670
(12-16-2011, 11:27 AM)bdr9 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

My computer runs reasonably well in Dolphin but I experience FPS drops often, even at low settings. I want to upgrade a component in my PC to be able to run Dolphin better. My question is which part of my computer is limiting my performance with Dolphin? Should I upgrade my CPU, GPU, or something else? Here are my specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz
6GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5670

Settings?
Those specs look decent to me as long as you leave AA off and overclock the cpu a bit.
(12-16-2011, 12:36 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Settings?
Those specs look decent to me as long as you leave AA off and overclock the cpu a bit.

Is it difficult to overclock the CPU? I have a feeling this may help but I don't know how to do it.
Can we take a look at your settings first and make sure they're alright?
(12-16-2011, 02:56 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Can we take a look at your settings first and make sure they're alright?

Yes. Here they are:

[Image: BMFV6.png]
[Image: eUytn.png]
[Image: T4HXy.png]
[Image: 0b1ZJ.png]
[Image: hR5P2.png]

The game I am most interested in being able to play is Skyward Sword. I get about 20-25 FPS.
Your settings look fine. You should be able to bump your internal resolution up to 3x without seeing a drop in performance. Which revision are you using?
(12-17-2011, 08:19 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Your settings look fine. You should be able to bump your internal resolution up to 3x without seeing a drop in performance. Which revision are you using?

I am using the latest build: 3.0-235. If I set the resolution higher than 1x, the game is unplayable. Can you think of any reason that it may be happening?
Video card drivers ?
Odd.....I would think a 5670 would be more than capable of handling 2x IR, even the DDR3 version. Perhaps SS is way more demanding on the gpu than any other game for some reason? Or perhaps the latest revision is particularly demanding for some reason?

Have you tried the recommended version for SS, 7719M or something like that?
Actually only with the CPU Sandy Bridge (i5 2500k - i7 2600k) can play games of Wii at fullspeed (SMG1 - SMG2 - D.K Returns), even above 4GHz (Using DSP-LLE).

Salu2 - Darkness Knight

Pages: 1 2