Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Upgrading Processort?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, i am wondering what to upgrade my processor too. I looked at comp specs of othere people and i had pretty much the same specs apart from the processor.

Current Specs:-
Windows 7 (64Bit)
4.00GB Ram (3.25 usable)
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.81 GHz
HIS (AMD) HD 5770 1GB (128bit) GDDR5

I was thinking of upgrading my Processor to this http://www.ebuyer.com/242140-amd-athlon-...640wfgmbox
That would be a downgrade for you.

The only upgrade you could do would be to upgrade to sandy bridge, which would require a new mobo and possibly new ram as well.
(12-12-2011, 06:15 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]That would be a downgrade for you.

The only upgrade you could do would be to upgrade to sandy bridge, which would require a new mobo and possibly new ram as well.

Why would that be a downgrade? That one runs at 3GHz mine doesn't and thats a quad-core, isn't it?
No L3 cache. You're going from a phenom II X3 to an athlon II X4.
(12-12-2011, 06:35 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]No L3 cache. You're going from a phenom II X3 to an athlon II X4.

oh ok, anyway i need a cheep(ish) upgrade, and should mkwii run on my settings because its really laggy, 1 second (in game) is like 3 seconds (real life), and if my setup should run it fine, what are the optimal settings?
Give me the settings that you're using right now and I'll tell what to change. You also might need to overclock.
(12-12-2011, 06:45 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Give me the settings that you're using right now and I'll tell what to change. You also might need to overclock.

Graphics -
Basic- OpenGL (im getting best fps on this)
Fullscreen res (1280x768)
Other-Show FPS (rest are un-ticked)

Enhancements-
Internal Res - 1x Native (640x528)
No AA
Anistrophic filtering - 1x
Post-Processing effect - Off

Hacks-

All disabled apart from -

-EFB copies (virtual and RAM)
-Disable Per-Pixel Depth

Advanced-
None ticked

Game Properties-
- All Options have blue box (is that enabled?) apart from Custom Projection.
- No patches
What revision?
Make sure disable format changes and openMP texture decoder are both checked. Set safe texture cache all the way to fast.
(12-12-2011, 08:04 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]What revision?
Make sure disable format changes and openMP texture decoder are both checked. Set safe texture cache all the way to fast.

Not the latest revision, my internets been really slow recently so I haven't been able to update it, I will try it tomorrow (it's 23:00 so yeah). Thanks for the help and advice!
Don't do that upgrade, it's not a downgrade but not a difference either, the performance is kind of similar and with your processor you can even unlock one core if you have the Black edition of it...but i don't recommend it.
If you want to upgrade you will have to change your motherboard, the best is go for an I5 even an I7 like NaturalViolence said sandybride is your choice, but you will have to spend a lot of money and you do have a good pc right now so...
Maybe you can upgrade you VGA that is what i recommend you, to a HD6950 and you will see a difference(Great one) in games not sure about dolphin.
I change from 4850/gtx 260/5850/6950 and i didn't see any huge improve but when i change my CPU i did notice one always talking about dolphin, but is kind of hard to tell because i never test it with the same revision of the emu and same config driver ver etc

BTW if you plan to upgrade your VGA you need to look your PSU for a possible upgrade too..yes pc world is just about money money and more money Tongue
Pages: 1 2