Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A cheap Silent GPU for multi-playing Mario Kart decently?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've tried to play Mario Kart Double Dash in multiplayer mode (2 players) today, and it runs very slow because my GPU is a CPU integrated Intel HD Graphics (you may see my other system specs in my signature).

It's from last year that I'm thinking of buying a dedicated video card and I decided to buy a fanless one. Can you recommend me some quite decent silent (fanless) video card which allow me at least to play mario kart double dash in multiplayer mode? Or just the gpu specs that I need (memory,clock,..).

Thanks
They don't make video cards without fans anymore, and if you did find one without a fan, it'd be too old and wouldn't get the job done anyway.

Quote:They don't make video cards without fans anymore

?????????????????????

WTF, yes they do. They're all the rage with HTPC builders.

This is a list of fanless AMD HD6000 series cards on newegg (newegg has a fanless sorting option): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...Mark=False

You can get a fanless version of any card up to the 6850. Nvidia only has fanless cards up to the GT 440.

A 6750 or higher should be fine for a 4x IR and a 6670 should be fine for a 3x IR.
(12-11-2011, 10:57 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]They don't make video cards without fans anymore, and if you did find one without a fan, it'd be too old and wouldn't get the job done anyway.

And a very quiet one?
(12-11-2011, 11:03 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:They don't make video cards without fans anymore

?????????????????????

WTF, yes they do. They're all the rage with HTPC builders.

This is a list of fanless AMD HD6000 series cards on newegg (newegg has a fanless sorting option): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...Mark=False

You can get a fanless version of any card up to the 6850. Nvidia only has fanless cards up to the GT 440.

A 6750 or higher should be fine for a 4x IR and a 6670 should be fine for a 3x IR.

Thank you! Would a 1GB 64-bit DDR3 be enough for the most of the multi player games?
Probably not, depends on the memory clock rate. For 1080p (3x IR) you usually want to have at least 50-60 GB/s of video memory bandwidth.

Nessly

Hmm, those fanless ones NaturalViolence suggested seem pricey considering how weak they are, especially those 6670's (110 USD!? Undecided). Are they even powerful enough to run games Dolphin?

I have a Geforce GTS 250 paired with an Intel i5-25000k processor, and that combo has been able to play every game I've thrown at it without slowdown at 3x native resolution. Honestly, the fan in my rear-projection TV is louder than my PC. I can't even hear the fans when any sound is coming out of the TV.

The GTS 250 has been out a few years already, so it's now pretty cheap on eBay (new for just 6-70 USD.)
Quote:Are they even powerful enough to run games Dolphin?
From earlier in the thread:
Quote:A 6750 or higher should be fine for a 4x IR and a 6670 should be fine for a 3x IR.

Quote:Hmm, those fanless ones NaturalViolence suggested seem pricey considering how weak they are, especially those 6670's (110 USD!? ).

Fanless cards are usually $20 more than the stock version since they require a bigger, and therefore more expensive heatsink. He specifically asked for a fanless card so that's what I showed him.
(12-11-2011, 01:15 PM)Nessly Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, those fanless ones NaturalViolence suggested seem pricey considering how weak they are, especially those 6670's (110 USD!? Undecided). Are they even powerful enough to run games Dolphin?

I have a Geforce GTS 250 paired with an Intel i5-25000k processor, and that combo has been able to play every game I've thrown at it without slowdown at 3x native resolution. Honestly, the fan in my rear-projection TV is louder than my PC. I can't even hear the fans when any sound is coming out of the TV.

The GTS 250 has been out a few years already, so it's now pretty cheap on eBay (new for just 6-70 USD.)

Thanks, I will consider this.
(12-11-2011, 01:15 PM)Nessly Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, those fanless ones NaturalViolence suggested seem pricey considering how weak they are, especially those 6670's (110 USD!? Undecided). Are they even powerful enough to run games Dolphin?

have you got the model having 1GB of memory or 512MB?
(12-11-2011, 01:28 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Are they even powerful enough to run games Dolphin?
From earlier in the thread:
Quote:A 6750 or higher should be fine for a 4x IR and a 6670 should be fine for a 3x IR.

Quote:Hmm, those fanless ones NaturalViolence suggested seem pricey considering how weak they are, especially those 6670's (110 USD!? ).

Fanless cards are usually $20 more than the stock version since they require a bigger, and therefore more expensive heatsink. He specifically asked for a fanless card so that's what I showed him.

Yes, the "problem" is that my case already has 2 big fans which already make a good ventilation and are quiet, so I don't want to add a little fan which could be more noisy than the others.
I think I will buy this if I have enough space in my case, it's not the best one but it gives a value to my system considering that it also frees the gpu from graphic tasks without adding noise.
And this could also be of interest for the topic. It doesn't fit in my case though!
Pages: 1 2