Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 2500k and Z68 Overclock help please!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all, my specs are in my sig....I am trying to overclock my I5 2500k above 4.3ghz, but if i go to 4.4ghz it doesn't post.

I am using a Z68 Asrock board, and set the multiplier and CPU Voltage, 43x Multiplier and 3.5v to safely and reliably overclock my 2500k to 4.3ghz. Tested on Prime95 for hours and hours with no problem!

What else can i try to overcome this stump at 4.3ghz limit?

I am using the coolermaster hyper 212plus cooler, is there any reason ill need to go even faster? maybe for SMG2?
You set your core voltage to 3.5 volts? I highly doubt that. No cpu made in the last 10 years can survive anything about 2.0v for very long.

You have also failed to provide any information.
Exact settings used?
Temps?
Sorry my bad, 1.35v on CPU core Voltage, and Multiplier set to 43, 44 will not post.

Havent adjusted any other settings.

Hope this helps a little?
(12-02-2011, 02:37 PM)nsta Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry my bad, 1.35v on CPU core Voltage, and Multiplier set to 43, 44 will not post.

Havent adjusted any other settings.

Hope this helps a little?

Disable c states in bios and speedstep (they are energy saving features that make things unstable with high overclocks). Also disable turbo boost (your cpu will try to use a crazy frequency and crash).
Thanks - I'll try that and see how i go.....

I was just thinking that i would like to get another 200mhz out of the CPU to a 4.5ghz OC, right now it's 4.3ghz and very very stable - Is it even worth the hassle?

Also, at 4.3 temps go to around 61c on load with Prime95 and nothing over, playing Dolphin never gets over 50-55c.

Last question, is 1.35v for a 4.3ghz OC ok or is it too much voltage, ive seen other run 4.3@1.2v or thereabouts.

Thanks in reply Smile

More OC reccomendations are welcome, and is it true i should manually adjust timings on RAM in bios as whats on the chips themselves?

Thanks!
Quote:Is it even worth the hassle?

Probably not. That's about a 4% increase.

Quote:Last question, is 1.35v for a 4.3ghz OC ok or is it too much voltage, ive seen other run 4.3@1.2v or thereabouts.

1.2v should be fine. Just use prime95 to be sure.

Quote:and is it true i should manually adjust timings on RAM in bios as whats on the chips themselves?

If they aren't correctly set to the proper values by default then yes.
Thanks for the quick response,

To save the confusion....im running my 2500k at 4.3ghz and 1.35v....anything lower and it will not POST. So is 1.35v safe for long term?

Other than that i think i will stay with 4,3ghz OC and not worry to get better speeds cause it seems mine is limited to 4.3ghz.

I only set multiplier to 43, and CPU Voltage to 1.35v, nothing else in BIOS.

Thanks
I am pretty sure that the max "safe" is v1.35 Wink (I don't have one, but I'm pretty sure Wink)
How could i bring the voltage down and still have the same 4,.3ghz speed?
As far as I can tell, you can't. Please post all relevant settings from the EFI setup.
Pages: 1 2