Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: FPS break down after ca 10min
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
he guys,

i am using dolphin to emulate gc games, first tryed it yesterday. zelda - twilight princess and zelda - wind waker work both fine and look really great, but after around 10min the fps break down to like 15 and the sound gets some glitches, totally unplayable.

tryed the newest dolphin release and the 3.0, same problem. the temperatures of my cpu get around 60°C, so everything is fine there. hope somebody can help a newbie like me to get everything to work Wink

here are my syspecs and dolphin settings:

[Image: dolphinw.jpg]

[Image: sysspecs.jpg]
Sounds like a problem with your PC, not Dolphin.
i am playing bf3 on 1920x1080 and very high grafic settings without any problems....

it looks like it begins when the cpu temperature reaches around 65°C, but im not sure why, because thats not a high temperature at all .... really strange, any ideas ?
Learn how emulation works and come back once you've realized that the comparison to bf3 is stupid.
(12-01-2011, 04:24 AM)Nazrael Wrote: [ -> ]i am playing bf3 on 1920x1080 and very high grafic settings without any problems....

it looks like it begins when the cpu temperature reaches around 65°C, but im not sure why, because thats not a high temperature at all .... really strange, any ideas ?

Sounds like CPU throttling. (lowering CPU speed when it reaches a target temperature to avoid overheating.)

I looked up your motherboard's manual and the feature can be disabled in the BIOS, but I strongly recommend upgrading the cooler instead.

(In English the feature is found in the Advanced menu, CPU category, and called CPU TM Function)
the compare to bf3 was because my cpu temp while playing bf3 stays around 70°C and i dont recognize any issues. i know that emulation software is really cpu problematic. dont wanted to affront someone.

thx fennecat for your helpfull answer, ich watched the cpu frequency when temperature reaches 65°C, it stayed the same. the cpu throttling is set to 80°C, im not sure if it has something to do with that.

leads me to something really strange that i've recognized: normal idle cpu temp is around 35-40°C, when i start emulating it goes up to 50°C and stays there. at the time the problem occurs(fps breaking down, sound glitches) the temperature jumps up to around 65°C and stays there! o_0 only way to get it down is to alt+tab out of the (still emulating) dolphin programm, wait 5sec and it goes down to normal 50°C. and THEN i can play normal for 10-20minutes again, but im watching the cpu temp on my second monitor and it is not raising slowly up to 60-65°C, those temperatures were only reached really really fast and keep high until i tab out shortly and everything goes back to normal...
hope someone can help me =)

and sorry for my english, have not used it for a long time
oh, just have to correct myself, i dont know when cpu throttling starts, thought i read it somewhere that it is at 80°C, but i checked it and it is not true, i am not sure when it start. but it is sure that at 65°C degree nothing hapens to my cpu frequency or the multiplier, sorry about that.
by the way, is there an edit function anywhere?

greetz
(12-01-2011, 05:28 AM)Nazrael Wrote: [ -> ]thx fennecat for your helpfull answer, ich watched the cpu frequency when temperature reaches 65°C, it stayed the same. the cpu throttling is set to 80°C, im not sure if it has something to do with that.

leads me to something really strange that i've recognized: normal idle cpu temp is around 35-40°C, when i start emulating it goes up to 50°C and stays there. at the time the problem occurs(fps breaking down, sound glitches) the temperature jumps up to around 65°C and stays there! o_0 only way to get it down is to alt+tab out of the (still emulating) dolphin programm, wait 5sec and it goes down to normal 50°C. and THEN i can play normal for 10-20minutes again, but im watching the cpu temp on my second monitor and it is not raising slowly up to 60-65°C, those temperatures were only reached really really fast and keep high until i tab out shortly and everything goes back to normal...
hope someone can help me =)

and sorry for my english, have not used it for a long time
oh, just have to correct myself, i dont know when cpu throttling starts, thought i read it somewhere that it is at 80°C, but i checked it and it is not true, i am not sure when it start. but it is sure that at 65°C degree nothing hapens to my cpu frequency or the multiplier, sorry about that.
by the way, is there an edit function anywhere?

Perhaps AIDA is rounding temperatures to multiples of 15, but I'd expect better from them. Is it up to date?

Something you can try temporarily is to disable throttling and see if it makes a difference.

Also, your English is pretty good and editing will be allowed as your post count increases.
aida is up to date and shows me the degrees in 1 digit steps, if it's that what you mean.
it confuses me that it runs at 50°C and then suddenly raises to 65°C, then i tab out and it jumps back to 50°C, but it is still running, havent minimized the dolphin emulation window or something.
it stresses me out that i have to stand up every 20minutes to alt+tab for 5seconds =)
thx for help so far, i'll try to disable the throtteling option now.

any other suggestions welcome =)
suggestion : get a cpu cooler

and now you've learned that emulation use cpu way more than most pc games out there.
ok.....
bf3: cpu temp at 65-70°C, no performance problems
emulation: cpu temp at 50°C, jumps up to 65°C when fps breakdown occurs, jumps to normal when shortly alt+tab

turning of cpu throttling didnt work :/

im running a well aired computer mid size case with 3 120mm fans and the cpu is cooled by noctua nh-u12p with two 120mm fans mounted.
i'm an educated computer technician and i think my pc is in tiptop condition.... thats the problem, i dont get where the problem is....

i know there are a lot of 14year old script kiddies with no experience and manners out there, but im not one of those. i know you can not know that out of the few posts i made.

so plz help me with some additional suggestions how to improve the emulation and get rid of this strange problem. THX =)
ah, something i forgot, the temperatures are the cpu core temps that aida64 shows me, the main cpu temp is always around 10°C lower, just to confuse nobody =)
Pages: 1 2