Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: FIXED Stutter/judder/slow down only in 30 fps games FIXED
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This! But let me clarify a little more than what the OP said. This actually has nothing to do with resolution, but rather Hz. As you may know, Hz and FPS are the same thing (essentially). Most TVs are 60Hz which is why 60 FPS games run smoothly. The 30 FPS don't match 60 Hz, so the solution is to change your refresh rate on your TV set to 30 Hz to match the game. This is done in your video card settings.

I was having tons of judder in Zelda SS, until I saw this thread and it reminded me of the importance of matching your video game's FPS to your TV's refresh rate. Thanks!
Quote:This! But let me clarify a little more than what the OP said. This actually has nothing to do with resolution, but rather Hz. As you may know, Hz and FPS are the same thing (essentially). Most TVs are 60Hz which is why 60 FPS games run smoothly. The 30 FPS don't match 60 Hz, so the solution is to change your refresh rate on your TV set to 30 Hz to match the game. This is done in your video card settings.

I was having tons of judder in Zelda SS, until I saw this thread and it reminded me of the importance of matching your video game's FPS to your TV's refresh rate. Thanks!

Oh jesus christ you literally couldn't be more wrong. FPS is not the same as refresh rate! Refresh rate is the number of refresh cycles used in the video signal per second. All games whether they be PC games or emulated run at 60hz regardless of framerate. No common projector, monitor, or HDTV can run at 30hz. The commonly supported refresh rates are 24hz and 23.976hz (for movies), and 59.976hz and 60hz (for everything else). If your video signals refresh rate had to be the same as the games framerate that would mean it would be constantly changing since framerate tends to go up and down while you're playing a pc game. This would make it impossible to sync the video and audio signals. Each time a refresh cycle occurs the contents of the backbuffer is scanned out to the display regardless of whether a new frame has been swapped/drawn or not. This is why frame tearing occurs if vertical synchronization is not used.

The OPs stuttering was fixed by lowering his resolution from 1366 x 768 to 1280 x 720 which means the stuttering must have been caused by the scaling chip inside the display.
(11-15-2011, 03:11 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:This! But let me clarify a little more than what the OP said. This actually has nothing to do with resolution, but rather Hz. As you may know, Hz and FPS are the same thing (essentially). Most TVs are 60Hz which is why 60 FPS games run smoothly. The 30 FPS don't match 60 Hz, so the solution is to change your refresh rate on your TV set to 30 Hz to match the game. This is done in your video card settings.

Oh jesus christ you literally couldn't be more wrong. FPS is not the same as refresh rate! Refresh rate is the number of refresh cycles used in the video signal per second. All games whether they be PC games or emulated run at 60hz regardless of framerate. No common projector, monitor, or HDTV can run at 30hz. The commonly supported refresh rates are 24hz and 23.976hz (for movies), and 59.976hz and 60hz (for everything else). If your video signals refresh rate had to be the same as the games framerate that would mean it would be constantly changing since framerate tends to go up and down while you're playing a pc game. This would make it impossible to sync the video and audio signals. Each time a refresh cycle occurs the contents of the backbuffer is scanned out to the display regardless of whether a new frame has been swapped/drawn or not. This is why frame tearing occurs if vertical synchronization is not used.

The OPs stuttering was fixed by lowering his resolution from 1366 x 768 to 1280 x 720 which means the stuttering must have been caused by the scaling chip inside the display.

Ok I might not understand as well as you, but saying that I couldn't be more wrong is a little strong don't you think? Here's a quote from wikipedia on frame rate:

"Frame rate is most often expressed in frames per second (FPS), and is also expressed in progressive scan monitors as hertz (Hz)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framerate

The key difference is that while FPS is how many frames per second your content has been encoded in, Hz is how many "flickers" per second your TV is flashing. For every flicker, you want a frame. That's always the goal.

I have a progressive scan TV. It's a common Samsung 52" and yes it supports 30Hz. I switched it to 30Hz and now my 30 FPS second game runs perfectly smoothly, while at 60Hz it was rather choppy. You really do want your content FPS and your Hz on your TV to match to get the smoothest possible panning. If they don't match, your TV does tricks to try and get them to line up. A common one is called 3:2 pull down (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3:2_pulldown#23pulldown) where they try and get a 24 FPS movie to play properly on a 60Hz TV. It's exactly these tricks that cause judder and stutter, though, since your TV can't do a perfect job of lining up 24 fps to 60Hz without losing some frames here and there.

Here's a good way to see how TVs need FPS and Hz to match: try watching a blu-ray. Movies are 24 FPS and when you stick in a blu-ray, your TV will automatically switch to 24Hz. Your screen will flicker and it will suddenly say 24Hz in the corner. That's because your TV is smart to try and match the FPS and Hz together. XBMC is a great media player that does this for you, and I wish Dolphin did. Since it doesn't, I had to go into my settings and manually switch them to 30Hz.

Getting back to my game, the reason there was stutter was because sometimes the game would push out a frame while my TV wasn't putting out a flicker. Since the flicker wasn't there to show the frame, the frame was skipped and I saw it in the stutter. Now did this stop the game from working? No, it's still playable and fine. It just has this annoying judder that I always notice. A lot of people don't even notice it, so they don't even recognize there's a problem.

I could get into more details, and maybe I'm still confused about something, but I really don't think I couldn't be more wrong. After all, switching to 30Hz absolutely fixed my problem.
Quote:but saying that I couldn't be more wrong is a little strong don't you think?

No, because you are completely wrong. I would say the same thing if you claimed acceleration and velocity were the same thing. Framerate and refresh rate are not the same thing, this is well known fact.

Quote:"Frame rate is most often expressed in frames per second (FPS), and is also expressed in progressive scan monitors as hertz (Hz)."

This is completely incorrect. In the context of a video game the framerate is how many frames per second the game is rendering. In the context of a movie the framerate is how many frames per second are in the video stream. Framerate measures the number of frames per second in the content, it has absolutely nothing to do with the number of refresh cycles the display uses per second. Also you can't use hertz to measure framerate since hertz is a unit of measurement for cycles per second, it implies the use of an electrical signal or sine wave.

Quote: Hz is how many "flickers" per second your TV is flashing.

I wouldn't use the word flicker if I were you. An LCD shouldn't flicker at all when it refreshes.

Quote:For every flicker, you want a frame. That's always the goal.

And you will always get one as long as the video signal uses a refresh rate supported by the display. If your game runs at 30 fps each frame will be scanned out twice producing a 60hz signal.

Quote: I switched it to 30Hz and now my 30 FPS second game runs perfectly smoothly, while at 60Hz it was rather choppy.

That shouldn't happen. Your display is doing something retarded. Either that or you were using 59.952hz mode instead of true 60hz mode.

Quote: You really do want your content FPS and your Hz on your TV to match to get the smoothest possible panning.

Although I agree with this statement I must point out that if the content is 30 fps the only difference between a 60hz output and 30hz output will be that each frame is scanned out twice instead of once. You shouldn't see any noticeable difference from this.

Quote:If they don't match, your TV does tricks to try and get them to line up.

No it doesn't, or it least it shouldn't unless it's some kind of bizarre display system. If the video signal is 60hz the display should run at 60hz, if the video signal is 24hz the display should run at 24hz. If the framerate of the content and the refresh rate of the desired video signal don't match it is the responsibility of the source hardware to perform any necessary adjustments. However usually this simply consists of scanning an image out to the display multiple times, which is what video games do. Your TV shouldn't have to do jack shit.

Quote: A common one is called 3:2 pull down (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3:2_pulldown#23pulldown) where they try and get a 24 FPS movie to play properly on a 60Hz TV.

3:2 pulldown it more specific than that. 3:2 pulldown was not designed to playback 24 fps content on 60hz displays, it was designed to for playback of 24p content on interlaced display systems. And 3:2 pulldown is always done by the source device as far as I know, so it is not a "trick that the TV performs to get the frames to line up".

And what on earth do you mean by "get the frames to line up". Line up with what? If they didn't line up with the refresh cycles the system wouldn't work.

Quote:It's exactly these tricks that cause judder and stutter, though, since your TV can't do a perfect job of lining up 24 fps to 60Hz without losing some frames here and there.

The TV does not drop frames. It displays every image it receives. And as I said before if you select 24hz output the display will run at 24hz (most HDTVs support 24hz, if the display doesn't support 24hz the content will quickly become out of sync with the audio or it will not work at all). If you select 60hz output the display will run at 60hz. Your tv doesn't have to "line up 24fps with 60hz", it either gets a 24hz signal and displays it or it gets s 60hz signal and displays it.

Although uneven frame scanning does contribute to judder the primary cause of judder is the low framerate of the content.

The reason running the bluray player (or PC software) in 60hz mode will produce more judder than 24hz output mode is because in 60hz mode the even numbered frames will be scanned out 3 times while the odd numbered frames will be scanned out twice (3:2 frame scanning). This means that even frames are displayed for 50% longer than odd numbered frames, this inconsistancy is what produces the extra judder. The extra judder has nothing to do with dropped frames.

Quote:Movies are 24 FPS and when you stick in a blu-ray, your TV will automatically switch to 24Hz. Your screen will flicker and it will suddenly say 24Hz in the corner. That's because your TV is smart to try and match the FPS and Hz together. XBMC is a great media player that does this for you, and I wish Dolphin did. Since it doesn't, I had to go into my settings and manually switch them to 30Hz.

If a bluray movie is 24fps that is its framerate regardless of whether the display is running at 60hz, 30hz, or 24hz. The HDTV doesn't "try to match the fps and the Hz together", that makes no sense. If you set the output signal to 24hz the display will run at 24hz, it's as simple as that.

Quote:Getting back to my game, the reason there was stutter was because sometimes the game would push out a frame while my TV wasn't putting out a flicker. Since the flicker wasn't there to show the frame, the frame was skipped and I saw it in the stutter. Now did this stop the game from working? No, it's still playable and fine. It just has this annoying judder that I always notice. A lot of people don't even notice it, so they don't even recognize there's a problem.

Nope, that's completely wrong. No frames should have been skipped. In 60hz mode a 30 fps game will scan each frame out twice, thus producing a 60hz signal.

Quote:I could get into more details, and maybe I'm still confused about something, but I really don't think I couldn't be more wrong. After all, switching to 30Hz absolutely fixed my problem.

I could be wrong but from what I'm reading I don't think you completely understand the terms you're trying to use. And that's irrelevant to whether or not switching the video drivers to 30hz output (you haven't really told me exactly what you did but I'm guessing that was it) fixed your stuttering problem or not.
Another quick update. I still had issues (far far less frequent) with judder after setting my resolution to 720p. I investigated and found that my TV does support 1080p @ 30hz so I gave that a go, problem solved.

Thanks very much !
Hmmm, this is very interesting, something must have not been working correctly. Either the d3d runtime or video drivers were set up for 60hz output instead of 59.97hz.
I had this same issue with 30fps games. THank you SOOOO much. I made a custom 1920x1080 res at 30hz and made a destop shortcut using quick res. With a bat file I can change refresh and launch dolphin at the same time. I had this judded. Same symptoms.. Counter shows 30fps all the time in said games but it would get a little jerky every 7 seconds. I spun in a circle in Zelda Skyward sword and timed it because I noticed it has happening in patterns. All fixed. Judder gone. Thank you !

I have had a little slow down when z-targeting in Zelda SW but only since arriving at Eldin Volcano. I have an i72600k at 4.6, Gtx 580 at 945mhz, rev 7719, d3d11 and all setting as suggesting by the thread starter. Also in all games I get a pause when doing things the 1st time like opening inventory, etc.. Even when running the emu and my ripped from retail image off of an SSD. Anyone have a clue about that ?
(11-24-2011, 10:57 AM)Liquid_drummer Wrote: [ -> ]I had this same issue with 30fps games. THank you SOOOO much. I made a custom 1920x1080 res at 30hz and made a destop shortcut using quick res. With a bat file I can change refresh and launch dolphin at the same time. I had this judded. Same symptoms.. Counter shows 30fps all the time in said games but it would get a little jerky every 7 seconds. I spun in a circle in Zelda Skyward sword and timed it because I noticed it has happening in patterns. All fixed. Judder gone. Thank you !

I have had a little slow down when z-targeting in Zelda SW but only since arriving at Eldin Volcano. I have an i72600k at 4.6, Gtx 580 at 945mhz, rev 7719, d3d11 and all setting as suggesting by the thread starter. Also in all games I get a pause when doing things the 1st time like opening inventory, etc.. Even when running the emu and my ripped from retail image off of an SSD. Anyone have a clue about that ?

Could you (or anyone), please, guide me a little with this?

How i'm supossed to match both resolutions (Dolphin & TV)? My internal resolution is 3x (192*1584) and my HDTV is fullHD (1900*1080) so... i don't really know what i have to do for fixing the judder/stuttering problem

:\

Thanks in advance!
(12-29-2011, 02:58 AM)tiku Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-24-2011, 10:57 AM)Liquid_drummer Wrote: [ -> ]I had this same issue with 30fps games. THank you SOOOO much. I made a custom 1920x1080 res at 30hz and made a destop shortcut using quick res. With a bat file I can change refresh and launch dolphin at the same time. I had this judded. Same symptoms.. Counter shows 30fps all the time in said games but it would get a little jerky every 7 seconds. I spun in a circle in Zelda Skyward sword and timed it because I noticed it has happening in patterns. All fixed. Judder gone. Thank you !

Could you (or anyone), please, guide me a little with this?

How i'm supossed to match both resolutions (Dolphin & TV)? My internal resolution is 3x (192*1584) and my HDTV is fullHD (1900*1080) so... i don't really know what i have to do for fixing the judder/stuttering problem

:\

Thanks in advance!

Ati or Nvidia should have a custom resolution maker in their respective control panel. I only know nvidia's solution. Make a custom res of 1920x1080 at 30 hz and switch to this mode before launching any 30fps locked wii games on dolphin. If you want to download quick res you can create a shortcut from its exe and then right click properties on the shortcut. Look at the target field.. Note the stuff after the last quote is all that matters unless you install in the same path.. Add that to the target of your quickres shortcut and you can just switch to 30 hz with a click. Of course you will want to make another to switch back to 60 while your at it.

"C:\SetRes Single Monitor V2_3 GPL3\SetRes.exe" h1920 v1080 f30

Try version 3.0-223 im running this and the pausing has gone. Also try clearing the cache folder i think that helps also.

Can you post an example of ur .bat file id like to try it setting res and launching dolphin, sounds good.
Pages: 1 2 3