Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Gamecube games 16:9?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there a way to have the Gamecube display full screen in 16:9? The Wii games will but I can't figure out how to get the Gamecube games to do it.
(11-01-2011, 09:23 AM)DJ Infinity Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to have the Gamecube display full screen in 16:9? The Wii games will but I can't figure out how to get the Gamecube games to do it.

Open dolphin > graphics > advanced > Enable widescreen hack & crop
Go back to General > Aspect ratio > 16:9 or stretch to window
Start game > alt+enter
***This option works best if you have a 16:9 monitor using a 16:9 (17:10) resolution.

Like 1280x720 or mine, 1366x768

Please don't advise people to use widescreen hack without informing them of the risks associated with using it (it's almost certain to cause major visual bugs with most games and we really don't like it when they come back here and complain and we have to figure out what's wrong, telling them not to use it saves us from the trouble it causes). And please don't advise them to use crop either since many users don't seem to understand what it does.

Since most GC games are not designed for 16:9 output you will either have to stretch the image to 16:9 or leave it with black bars on the sides. To stretch the image just follow this part of what TheDarkFenrir said:
Quote:Go back to General > Aspect ratio > 16:9 or stretch to window
Thanx guys. My display is set to 1920x1080 I tried enabling those things and it didn't make a difference. I went out and bought a GC today just to see how it displays and controls vs Dolphin. I have a WII but bought the GC and the few games I like on it for nostalgic value. I am running Dolphin on a next to top tier system and it works great. Thanx again Cool
*UPDATE* using latest build most Gamecube games fill out the screen like on the actual console.
Quote:*UPDATE* using latest build most Gamecube games fill out the screen like on the actual console.

The console doesn't do that, your HDTV/monitor either stretches it or doesn't (black bars if it doesn't). If your HDTV doesn't stretch the image than your GC games will have black bars on the left/right even on the actual GC.
(11-08-2011, 10:27 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:*UPDATE* using latest build most Gamecube games fill out the screen like on the actual console.

The console doesn't do that, your HDTV/monitor either stretches it or doesn't (black bars if it doesn't). If your HDTV doesn't stretch the image than your GC games will have black bars on the left/right even on the actual GC.

Actually, there are quite a few games for GC that support 16:9 format with 480p resolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nin...:9_support
Not anywhere close to the majority though (as you can see by that very same list). And technically the HDTV still has to stretch the widescreen games output since they use anamorphic widescreen.
(11-09-2011, 07:14 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Not anywhere close to the majority though (as you can see by that very same list). And technically the HDTV still has to stretch the widescreen games output since they use anamorphic widescreen.

Yes, but the tv will display anamorphic (stretched) image only if the source image from the gamecube is 4:3.

I have the DOL-001 model of GC which happens to have digital out. And games that can display 16:9 image will do so without anamorphic correction or any stretching. The later models of GC lack this. They have only analog out signals and can't display 16:9 format even if the game supports it so the newer TV's stretch the image to make it 16:9. This does not happen on DOL-001.

Anyway, on topic widescreen hack looks great on 1360x768. If you notice glitches or visual corruption, the first thing to try is disable the hack.
(11-09-2011, 08:51 PM)armac911 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-09-2011, 07:14 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Not anywhere close to the majority though (as you can see by that very same list). And technically the HDTV still has to stretch the widescreen games output since they use anamorphic widescreen.

Yes, but the tv will display anamorphic (stretched) image only if the source image from the gamecube is 4:3.

I have the DOL-001 model of GC which happens to have digital out. And games that can display 16:9 image will do so without anamorphic correction or any stretching. The later models of GC lack this. They have only analog out signals and can't display 16:9 format even if the game supports it so the newer TV's stretch the image to make it 16:9. This does not happen on DOL-001.

Anyway, on topic widescreen hack looks great on 1360x768. If you notice glitches or visual corruption, the first thing to try is disable the hack.

I can confirm this, I have an purple GameCube, DOL-001 (EUR) with an DIGITAL AV OUT port.
I use the GameCube genuine component cable DOL-010 for it.
Pages: 1 2