Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: People, i have a doubt about dual core mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Iup, i can't understand correctly how it works.
Let me see, in the description it says that it splits CPU and Video to different cores.

So, with one of these are correct?

CPU goes to core 1
Video goes to core 2

or

CPU and video goes to core 1 and 2.

so, with one? ^^"
I think without it on, both the video AND cpu threads mostly run on one core of the cpu. But with dual core enabled, the threads are placed on separate cores, so the cpu thread might go to core 1, and the video thread might go to core 2.
this is right, as long as you tick "lock threads to cores" in dolphin config.
So...
i'm not a coder, so, is it too difficult to do this:

video to core 1 and 2, CPU to 3 and sound to 4?

I'm not a coder, just asking!
Don't point me a gun!
dont know if video thread could be split, but it wont help you much. cpu thread always stays above video thread for me in terms of utilization.

for audio, ector(one of the main developers) said :

Quote:No, stop speculating. The reason is that it's impossible to split serial processes like processor emulation into multiple threads. Dolphin cannot be split further than into two threads, one for CPU and one for graphics. We also have an audio thread but it consumes about 1% of a core. If we get LLE to work fully, it will eat about another core, so having 3 cores will be good, but what should the fourth core do?
(06-13-2009, 10:50 PM)Iulius Wrote: [ -> ]dont know if video thread could be split, but it wont help you much. cpu thread always stays above video thread for me in terms of utilization.

for audio, ector(one of the main developers) said :

Quote:No, stop speculating. The reason is that it's impossible to split serial processes like processor emulation into multiple threads. Dolphin cannot be split further than into two threads, one for CPU and one for graphics. We also have an audio thread but it consumes about 1% of a core. If we get LLE to work fully, it will eat about another core, so having 3 cores will be good, but what should the fourth core do?

Well, at least 3 cores will be usefull xD
hmm riddle me this though, what if you had TWO dual core processors? is there a way to utilize both with dual core enabled?
(06-14-2009, 11:44 AM)Xiloscent Wrote: [ -> ]hmm riddle me this though, what if you had TWO dual core processors? is there a way to utilize both with dual core enabled?

Technically, the Intel quad core processors are actually two dual core chips on one die, giving a total of four cores Tongue
(06-14-2009, 01:44 PM)Goof245 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-14-2009, 11:44 AM)Xiloscent Wrote: [ -> ]hmm riddle me this though, what if you had TWO dual core processors? is there a way to utilize both with dual core enabled?

Technically, the Intel quad core processors are actually two dual core chips on one die, giving a total of four cores Tongue

yeah that's true...hmm if only it was possible to make two cores emulate the CPU. 6.12 ghz workin on that should be enough one would think.

gcp111

(06-14-2009, 03:14 PM)Xiloscent Wrote: [ -> ]yeah that's true...hmm if only it was possible to make two cores emulate the CPU. 6.12 ghz workin on that should be enough one would think.

lol, that would fly... Tongue
You couldn't emulate the CPU on more than one thread however (I guess instructions need to be executed sequentially, plus thread safety issues... Smile)

I doubt there's anything else to offload either. Too bad.
Pages: 1 2 3