Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: People, i have a doubt about dual core mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
But, about the sound, it runs together with the CPU thread? am I right?
i'm not 100%sure, but i doubt it.

first : HERE
it is mentioned as own thread

also in main.cpp of dsp_lle (sound) there is a thread created which is called "dsp_thread"

so audio allready has its own thread, but it does not consume much.
(06-15-2009, 02:03 AM)Iulius Wrote: [ -> ]i'm not 100%sure, but i doubt it.

first : HERE
it is mentioned as own thread

also in main.cpp of dsp_lle (sound) there is a thread created which is called "dsp_thread"

so audio allready has its own thread, but it does not consume much.

Would we get better sound from an option that moves that audio thread to its own core? Or better performance? Even if it's something you can't see, maybe it is a good idea to put in this feature now in anticipation of LLE working.

cmccmc

Just going to clear a few things up. Sound currently runs on the same thread as the CPU. Using HLE sound it takes up about 1% of your processor. We will not move it over to a new thread until LLE sound is finished because LLE sound will NEED it's own thread for emulation because it is so CPU intensive.
unlike HLE sound
Quote:syncronisation is not a big problem, as the 4 cores run at the same speed, and a little bit of typing, we can create something that keeps the cores syncronised.

A little typing? A lil'?

I'd love to see you try. Dodgy

Put it this way: BSNES and PCSX2 has major problems in speed due in some part to thread sync. The more cores you throw and more threads you do, the harder this gets. And the debugging complexity grows exponentially.

So really, I would love to see you try and do this. There's one thing I cannot stand is people saying "Oh, lets throw a lil code together and it works ^^".Angry Because, it never works that way.

Quote:Just going to clear a few things up. Sound currently runs on the same thread as the CPU. Using HLE sound it takes up about 1% of your processor. We will not move it over to a new thread until LLE sound is finished because LLE sound will NEED it's own thread for emulation because it is so CPU intensive.

BRAVO. The one thread that makes perfect sense Smile.

gcp111

(06-15-2009, 08:09 AM)mudlord Wrote: [ -> ]So really, I would love to see you try and do this. There's one thing I cannot stand is people saying "Oh, lets throw a lil code together and it works ^^".Angry Because, it never works that way.

Agreed. You have to write the initial code *then* do alot of debugging. Especially for threading.

LuisR14

(06-15-2009, 08:09 AM)mudlord Wrote: [ -> ]BRAVO. The one thread that makes perfect sense Smile.
don't you mean post Tongue
(06-14-2009, 03:14 PM)Xiloscent Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-14-2009, 01:44 PM)Goof245 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-14-2009, 11:44 AM)Xiloscent Wrote: [ -> ]hmm riddle me this though, what if you had TWO dual core processors? is there a way to utilize both with dual core enabled?

Technically, the Intel quad core processors are actually two dual core chips on one die, giving a total of four cores Tongue

yeah that's true...hmm if only it was possible to make two cores emulate the CPU. 6.12 ghz workin on that should be enough one would think.

Not to be mean, but i'm really pissed off when people multiply clockspeed like that.
(06-15-2009, 12:46 PM)boogerlad Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-14-2009, 03:14 PM)Xiloscent Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-14-2009, 01:44 PM)Goof245 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-14-2009, 11:44 AM)Xiloscent Wrote: [ -> ]hmm riddle me this though, what if you had TWO dual core processors? is there a way to utilize both with dual core enabled?

Technically, the Intel quad core processors are actually two dual core chips on one die, giving a total of four cores Tongue

yeah that's true...hmm if only it was possible to make two cores emulate the CPU. 6.12 ghz workin on that should be enough one would think.

Not to be mean, but i'm really pissed off when people multiply clockspeed like that.

YUR SO MEEEEEEEN!!!!! Sad jk. yeah i know its not right, but i wasn't gonna put a random number in that made no sense.

gcp111

lol guys, it's just a number. Also, I think he meant all the cores joined into one 6.12 GHz core... Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3