Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is this upgrade worth it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey I'm thinking of changing my current Asus N53S to a Xlporer X6-7200

Asus Specs:
Intel i7 2630QM 2.0 turbo boost to 2.8 (though I've seen it at 2.81 and It wasn't full speed so I'm guessing it can go to 2.9)
8GB RAM memory DDR3
Nvidia 540GTM 1GB VRAM
500 GB Hard Drive 7200RPM
Sonic Master ICE power Sound

Xlporer:
i7-2670QMr 2.20 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.10 GHz
8GB RAM memory DDR3
Nvidia 520GT 1GB PCle GDDR3
500GB Hard Drive SATA 300 7200RPM
Built-in 3D Premium Surround Sound

Will this change dolphin's performance significantly or is the change in video cards too much? Sorry i don't know allot about computers, BTW there laptops both.
NO.

The CPU upgrade would be imperceptible in Dolphin. (5-10% at most)
The GPU downgrade is crippling for everything else. Maybe even dolphin too, you'll never play anything higher than native.

If you don't know what you're going don't do it.
That's a blatant downgrade.
(10-14-2011, 11:49 PM)Dumachum Wrote: [ -> ]NO.

The CPU upgrade would be imperceptible in Dolphin. (5-10% at most)
The GPU downgrade is crippling for everything else. Maybe even dolphin too, you'll never play anything higher than native.

If you don't know what you're going don't do it.

oh well thanks i didn't do it yet so Im good it's just that i wasn't happy with the speed but now i found the wiki and that helped A lot. though Xenoblade will just not go 100%. Hey would a i5 work with dolphin better than an i7 cuz Ive heard that dolphin cant use more than 2 cores just wondering not gonna do it
dolphin uses 2core (+1optional sound core)
(10-15-2011, 01:40 AM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]dolphin uses 2core (+1optional sound core)

........ That doesn't answer my question whether i7 or 15 is better
i don't discuss with notebook user

if you want decent speed
buy a i5-2500k rig

and yes a i5 is enough for dolphin
but the i5/i7 mobile cpus are just... not enough for dolphin
Quote:........ That doesn't answer my question whether i7 or 15 is better

Depends on the models that you are comparing. Usually they are the same or very close to the same in regards to dolphin.
(10-15-2011, 05:41 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:........ That doesn't answer my question whether i7 or 15 is better

Depends on the models that you are comparing. Usually they are the same or very close to the same in regards to dolphin.

how bout a i7-2670QM 2.20 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.10 GHz vs a i5-2430M 2.40 GHz 3M Intel Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.00 GHz
Nearly identical performance.
Pages: 1 2